Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help!  Ethernet Adapter Confusion  (Read 2403 times)

thomasj

Help!  Ethernet Adapter Confusion
« on: March 31, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »
Does anyone know what a "NE 2000 ISAPNP ETHERNET ADAPTER (GENERIC)" is and what kind of internet connection I can make with it?  Someone gave us an old computer (running XP Professional) which I discovered this adapter was installed when I tried to hook up dial-up for my daughter and learned the modem had been removed.  Can this card handle networking with my internet connection (cable broadband) if I get a router (wired or wireless)??
Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks  

pcdoc4christ

Re: Help!  Ethernet Adapter Confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 05:49:48 PM »
Thomas:

An Ethernet adapter is for a wired network.  The connector on the back of the computer will look like a phone jack, but larger.  You can buy a cable for it at most electronics retail stores.  The CAT 5 or CAT 6 Ethernet cable can be up to 100 meters long (from the computer to the router).   You can use the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard to connect the the Internet through the router.

Doc

Backdated

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 04:13:07 AM »
I've not done any research on this but the fact that it's ISA suggests that it may have a BNC connector.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 06:23:16 AM »
i've had nE2000 cards that had BNC and ethernet outputs, but I think they were 10 rather than 10/100 links.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:03:30 AM »
The model number is similar to an ISA card I have in my Win 98SE machine.  My card is a Linksys LNE2000T, named Ether16 10BaseT LAN Card.  It has an RJ45 jack and I have it connected to my router via CAT5 cable.  It works fine; Internet connection speed is the same as my main computer (Win XP, onboard LAN).

The only way you're going to know for sure whether will work is to try it.  If it does not work, a driver update might solve the problem.  I don't know where you can get a driver for it, since the brand name is not indicated.  I see Linksys has a driver for my old card, but I don't know whether that driver would be appropriate for your card.

If you can't get it to work and you have an empty PCI slot, you could get a network card for a PCI slot.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 11:05:17 AM by soybean »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 04:28:03 PM »
I've not done any research on this but the fact that it's ISA suggests that it may have a BNC connector.

Good eye, Backdated.  It might also be a 10 mbp Ethernet adapter.  Installing a 100 mbps PCI Ethernet adapter should improve the speed.