Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Start own server  (Read 4073 times)

Blackberry

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    Start own server
    « on: April 12, 2006, 10:49:36 AM »
    I'm here to ask a complicated question. I would like to start my own web server. So I can host a few sites, people can get some web space...

But how do you do this. I have a computer that is connected to the internet, and will be 24/7 online (because otherwise people wouldn't see there website). But I don't want that people can see my whole computer (my personal files, etc.) So how can I do this (under windows XP professional). I've read some things on the web, but nothing is clear. That's what I found so far:

You can use Apache web server (free)
    You can use Cpanel...

Can anybody help me for more things (like making that you can't see my whole computer, making that I can give people web space...)

Thanx

Blackberry  8-)
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

T-Chai

Re: Start own server
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 03:53:23 PM »
    Why dont you lock your data with password protection  :)
    But that was a little help that give you, i dont much about your topic.

:) :) :)

tc_pole_vaulter

Beginner
    • School Sucks
      « Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 09:13:45 PM »
      I’m not sure how you would block your personal files, but I’m on the process of setting up my own server also. I’m using a separate computer, so I don’t have to worry bout the personal files. You can check out this page I found on how to set up a home server.

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/hostmyown.html

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 04:10:33 AM »
      Ensure your firewall blocks incoming requests on any port other than 80.  Then, your files can only be accessed remotely if (a) you have a trojan or (b) you run an insecure web server.  Switch off file & print sharing on your PC, unless you particularly need it.  It is best running a web server behind a decent hardware firewall, but if you don't have one then you should take these precautions.

Grab Apache, PHP5 and MySQL5 (all free), and you have everything you need in order to deploy a professional standard web server.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Mindwr@ck

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 10:05:50 PM »
        You mentioned that you would be connected to the net 24/7 but you didn't mention if your ISP allows you to have a static IP or not. That is one thing you will need to know. While I have set up a few web servers myself I always used a LAMP solution (Linux Apache MySql PHP) mostly because they were free and stable. Lately I have been forced into doing some development on a Windoze box and find myself looking forward to getting back to my Linux server. But that's another story.. Anyhow for a cheap solution LAMP is the way to go IMO. A seperate box for your webserver is also the way to go IMO. Then there is also the simple idea of becoming a reseller of someone elses hosting service so you dont have to do anything other than design work.
        Mindwr@ck

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 01:49:07 AM »
        you didn't mention if your ISP allows you to have a static IP or not.
        Not needed, with all the free dynamic DNS services out there.
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos