Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP and Word 2000  (Read 4569 times)

Shine

Windows XP and Word 2000
« on: March 09, 2006, 05:31:41 AM »
Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this  :-/.

We've recently bought a new PC with Windows XP installed on it. We're running Word 2000 on it. The problem is that the Word documents do not look like they did when running it on Windows 98; they're much smaller and don't fill the screen.

In other words, the document stretched out across the entire page on Word in 98 but does not fill the page widthways in XP.

Much searching of Word and XP has ensued but we're still none the wiser as to how to change this and, basically, get back the 'look' of Word as it ran on 98.

Any ideas?

Thank you.  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 05:32:31 AM by Shine »

hernan

Re: Windows XP and Word 2000
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 07:54:12 AM »
I have used office 2000 in Xp for a long time and I didn't have any problems. Are you 100% sure that you have correctly configured the page? or maybe you just have to change the zoom level or the view.

Just guessing....

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 09:02:25 AM »
Are you also using a different size monitor now?  Are you using the same resolution on your monitor as you used with Win 98?  

Have you tried the different Views for Word 2000?  With Word 2003, if I select Web Layout view, the Word document spreads across the entire Word screen.  If using Normal view, have you tried just changing the right margin setting, to move it further to the right?

Shine

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:42:55 AM »
I've altered the zoom and the view but while they make a difference they don't make things the way they were on 98. If you change the screen size then it affects the font size and the two don't seem to marry correctly.

The monitor size, is the same, in fact it's the same monitor. Altering the resolution doesn't help either.

But thanks for taking the time to read and reply; it's greatly appreciated.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 01:59:50 AM »
You're probably in a different viewing mode.  Try each of the options on the view menu (at the top of that menu), until you find the one that you're used to.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Shine

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 02:44:17 AM »
Thanks for that.

It makes some difference but it seems impossible to get the screen to look identicle to how it did with 98 despite the fact the monitor is exactly the same.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 08:42:38 AM »
Shine:

Try clicking the middle button in the upper, right-hand corner of Word (the one with a square on it).  That should restore the window up.

Doc

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »
I have Windows XP and I have installed Word 2000. It works fine for me.
I am sure you have already tried it, but click VIEW, then click PRINT LAYOUT. If that doesnt work, click VIEW and then click NORMALL.
Are any of these the same as what you had in 98?

Shine

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 05:11:51 AM »
Hi, I think that the problem is resolved pretty much now. Certainly, adjusting settings and sizes has made it as close as possible to the old view. It seems the fact that XP has a smallest screen resolution of 800 x 600 and 98 has a slightly different size is what was causing the trouble; it makes it impossible to get exactly the same screen view.

Many thanks for all attempts made to help!