Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't reload XP  (Read 2189 times)

donmcnulty

Can't reload XP
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:57:37 AM »
I recently took on a computer repair job, and I am stuck. The system had stopped while the person was using it, just locked up on a blue screen. The machine would do nothing. It is a Dell Dimension 8250. After trying to get the unit to start with no success, I removed the hard drive and conected it to my computer as a slave and ran my virus program on it, and found 34 infected files, 32 of which were cleanes. (I was told the owners virus program had expired). Since the owner said that there was nothing on the machine that could not be replaced, and it was about 3 years old, and seemed to be slower than it used to be, I decided to re-install XP and give the machine a fresh start.
I put the drive back into the machine and tried to format and re-install XP. The drive would stop after about 2 or 3 minutes into the project and do nothing. I then, removed the drive, connected it to my computer and my computer wouldn't start at all. (I had a similar experience previously with another Dell, and installed a new hard drive and the computer is still working fine.) So I got a brand new hard drive, tried to reinstall XP after formatting it and it quit minutes into the installation, just as the original had done. I then tried another XP disk with the same result. Next, I used the software that came with the drive to format it, then tried to re-install XP with the same result.
Any ideas????
Thanks for now,
Don

jonathan21

Re: Can't reload XP
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:11:16 AM »
first of all what did the blue screen say.sound like a hardware problem
try diferent memory stick and reload.also if there are any othe components not onboard such as an internal modem try removing before reinstalling.if all does not work take ur pc to a tech near u and get a second opion.hope this helps and does not sound rude.best of luck to u

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 04:10:11 AM »
I would try a Linux Live CD to see if it ran apart from Windows. Free download at www.knoppix.com

The enxt thing would be to remove the RAM and all cards and reinsert them. Dell has free diagnostics at their site, and I would also try a RAM test (free at www.memtest86.com) and see what you turn up.

donmcnulty

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 03:20:33 AM »
The problem was the video card. After changing it, I completed installing Windows, then put in the old viceo card and the same problem occurred. I think Windows was loading, and had come to a point where I had to answer something and stopped because I didn't respond.

Thanks so much,

Don

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 04:18:38 AM »
Glad you are up and running,and thanks for posting back.  ;)