Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't open files or folders  (Read 2996 times)

rainbowrider

can't open files or folders
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:11:09 AM »
 [smiley=undecided.gif] I very stupidly let my friend use my computer without "limiting" his access, he will be a regular user on my comp. so I gave him his own "user acount".  while setting up his own homepage, cursers, and general playing around He went into folder options and changed a lot of file types which caused my folders and files to start in search instead of opening them.
It gets "better", He called a freind to help him fix it (before I got home) and evidently the friend told him to click file folder in the files type tab, then click advanced, in the edit file type he clicked New, in action he put open, and in application used to perform action he put notepad.exe and made it the default. he did the same in a couple other file types like folders and drive.
 Can anyone help me reset this so I can open things again? :-?
I use windows xp home sp2

GX1_Man

Re: can't open files or folders
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 04:16:29 AM »
Can you restore to a time before you let this "friend" help you out?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

The next thing would be to limit his access totally.  :o :o :o :o

rainbowrider

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 09:40:58 PM »
Did the restore and it said no changes were made. His access is now limited but I still can't "open" anything unless I use the explore comand. Anyone else???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:34:18 PM »
     rainbowrider..... Have you tried this .......log in as the Admin ...... then go into control panel / folder options /"General" tab...... click Restore defaults .....then Apply and ok ......then go back into folder options again ...this time "VIEW" tab .....click on Restore defaults ....then apply and ok ......exit .then try to open a folder and see if it will open.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

rainbowrider

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 11:06:35 PM »
     :( Thanks but that didn't do it.
    I need someone who can tell me what to put in the space when you  go to control panel/ folder options/ "file types" tab/ ...highlite "file folder"... click "advanced" bar at bottom...in "actions" highlight "open"...click "new"......In the NEW ACTION box put "open" as the action.....I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO PUT IN THE BOTTOM BOX UNDER "APPLICATION USED TO PERFORM ACTION"... :'(
     :D I am greatfull for all the help and brain racking everyone is doing for me, THANK YOU!!!

GX1_Man