Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Startup with USB keyboard  (Read 4560 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Startup with USB keyboard
    « on: April 03, 2006, 07:03:57 PM »
    OK, I have WinXP and Kubuntu Linux. When I boot, I am given the choice of all the different kinds of Linux or Windows XP. I'm told to use the arrow keys and hit enter to make a selection. However, my USB keyboard, for whatever reason, is disabled. NOTHING on it works. So, it times out and I get Linux. Which is great, except that I need to get into Windows. So, I dug through the garage and got out a PS/2 keyboard and plugged it in. It worked, but I want the USB keyboard to work there. Heck, if I can navigate CMOS and BIOS with my USB keyboard I should be able to do something later on... right?

But the story gets better. With two keyboards plugged in, I expected it to be like my two mice - they'd work synchronously. They do, but for some reason the Ctrl key starts rapid-firing and I have to unplug the PS/2 to get it to stop.

I'm doing a lot of switching back-and-forth between Windows and Linux until I get Konqueror set up properly. After that, I can just download and run my programs/patches/drivers, but until then I have to download them, make an image, burn to CD, pick it up in Linux, take a pic of the error message I get, burn it, go back into Windows... repeat... repeat...

My keyboard is a Zboard. The PS/2 is a generic model, don't even recognize the logo. I've been forced to go through a ritualistic plug in of the keyboard, boot, remove the keyboard...
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:05:43 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Startup with USB keyboard
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:07:34 PM »
    I trust that you have tried updating your mouse drivers? Tried updating XP with Microsoft Windows Updates? Scanned for viruses and Spyware, checked for compatibility issues, that sort of thing? Has this ever happened to you before?

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:27:42 PM »
    Sorry, I can't help with this one. I have never had a USB keyboard (and never want one, because of things like this!)   :o
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:30:20 PM by GX1_Man »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 07:29:08 PM »
    Sadly, I've heard of USB keyboards having little issues like this. Most are resolved with simple driver updates however.

Flame

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 07:50:08 PM »
      Um... aren't drivers limited to the OS it's installed on? I'm talking about the screen where I choose OS's. I'm not saying it won't work; I am d/ling drivers (time to upgrade anyway) but I'm curious how that would work. I gotta know the how and why on everything I'm interested in.

Also, does it change anything that the extra features provided by the driver are only good in systems >= Windows 2000?
      « Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:51:15 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:22:23 AM »
      This is not a driver issue.  You're encountering this at the GRUB bootloader, aren't you?  Have you turned on legacy USB keyboard support in your BIOS?  If that doesn't fix it, google "GRUB USB keyboard" and you'll find lots on this subject.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

IT-Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 06:40:33 AM »
      Oh.. And I thought all USB keyboards did that after POST.  Which is why I always have a PS/2 on hand for reimaging pc's.  The USB keyboards I have always go silent before windows loads and initialize the bus.  I thought that was normal.   :-X

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 05:40:37 PM »
        Thanks, guys. USB keyboard working as expected now. I thought of Google, but tidn't know what to search for. The closest I could get was "USB keyboard after BIOS lock up". That wouldn't get many relevant results... ;P

Thanks again. :)