Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Merging in Excel  (Read 2203 times)

sarasotamac

Merging in Excel
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:23:28 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something in Excel. I don't really know what I am doing in it. I have a spread sheet with lists of account numbers and notes next to them. I want to have excel combine all of the rows of notes with the same account number.

How is it done?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Merging in Excel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:32:32 AM »
So, you have multiple rows with the same account number?  Right?  For those rows, are the notes the same, or do they vary?

sarasotamac

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:22:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply. No, the notes are different. So we need to get all of the notes combined, in one cell with the corresponding account number.

Thanks!

Mac

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:03:02 PM »
How many records/rows are in this Excel file?  I don't know of a way to automate this, and doing it manually will be a tedious procedure if you have a large number of records.

To manually do this, you could copy the notes for each account to Notepad.  Then when you have all the notes for a particular account consolidated in Notepad, copy them back to Excel.  

sarasotamac

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 12:39:17 PM »
Ya, I have goten to that point. I have almost 600 accounts with about 20,000 rows. Yuck. Thanks anyway!

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 12:51:52 PM »
I presume you're sorting those records to get all the records for a particular account listed together.  I will mention the Concatenate function, in case that might help.  If you're not familiar with it, take a look in Excel's Help.  You can also combine text from different cells by using the & symbol.  For example: A1 contains Good and B1 contains bye.  To make C1 display Goodbye, type =A1&B1 in C1.