Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HotSync problem with Palm IIIc  (Read 2413 times)

hounddog

HotSync problem with Palm IIIc
« on: April 04, 2006, 10:53:05 AM »
Hope this is the right venue for this subject.

System crashed.  Had to reinstall XP pro.  Was then unable to HotSync pda.
 error message says:  "COM 1 unavailable.  HotSync manager will connect when it becomes available."

I have no idea how COM 1 became unavailable.  To best of my knowledge I changed nothing when I reinstalled OS.

Used MS suggestions on "help" to find out whats wrong, how to fix, but they are so complicated Im not sure I did them correctly, but I did them several times with no results.

Asus P4P800 SE MB with only 1 com port so I cant change to another port.

If anyone can help I'll appreciate it.  PDA unusable since 3/22, would like to get it running again.

Thanks in advance.

IT-Guy

Re: HotSync problem with Palm IIIc
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »
Yep.. sounds like a software problem.  Check your device manager for Com 1, then ensure there are no modems installed on com 1.  Sometimes you have to add com 1 back so you can use it.  Also check your com settings under Hotsync manager.

hounddog

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 08:20:53 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try them today.  Also tried another message to tech support at Asus.  They didn't respond the last time.  I'll post their reply (if I get one).  Also will post the results of your suggestions.

hounddog

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 01:47:26 PM »
Sorry to say those ideas didn't do anything.  Got an answer from ASUS, who "thinks" the COM ! serial port failed on the motherboard, and seemed to shrug, suggesting I get another mb;  if i wanted to try adding an aftermarket PCI serial card, and eliminated the on board one (no directions how) that might work.

I'm disappointed that they seemingly accept a 1 1/2 year or so life on the mother board and think I should as well.  I doubt that my next mb will be from ASUS if that is their atititude.

But thanks for trying to help.  Not sure what I'll do next.