Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking  (Read 4470 times)

joy515

Networking
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:06:46 PM »
HI IM WONDERING IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT. IS THERE A WAY TO HAVE TWO PEOPLE WORKING ON THE SAME COMPUTER AT THE SAME TIME? I THINK I REMEMBER USING THIS FEATURE BUT CAN'T REMEMBER HOW TO DO IT?

THE PERSON WHO IS DIALING IN USING DSL USES WINDOWS XP, OUR SERVER USES WINDOWS 2000 SERVER. RIGHT NOW I HAVE ONE PERSON THAT DIALS IN USING VNC AND ANOTHER USING PC ANYWHERE. CAN EVERY1 BE DIALED IN AT THE SAME TIME? IF SO HOW? HELP THANKS!!

LegoLas

Beginner

Re: Networking
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 05:51:49 AM »
    Well, actually, I've not heard about this software, but I found this article:
    http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/answer.php?90

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:25:08 AM »
    As far as I know, two people can work on the same computer at the same time; only one user can actually have control of the computer at a time.  However, I believe NetMeeting allows control to be quickly switched back and forth between persons.  

I recently experienced NetMeeting for the first time.  A friend got online with me and quided me through a session with it.  During the session, he granted me control of his computer, during which time I saw his desktop on my monitor and I had control of his computer, not him.  After a short time, I then released control back to him.  This could go back and forth.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 08:22:03 AM »
      Well, you could plug in two USB mice and two USB keyboards. I've got the two mice myself (just for kicks) but I only have onw USB keyboard. Do not plug in a PS/2 keyboard and a USB because that causes issues. (Or maybe it was just an old PS/2 keyboard. ...)
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 08:46:10 AM »
      Dilbert, I believe he's talking about one user connecting from a remote location, not two users sitting next to the same computer.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 11:03:50 AM »
      If you want all connected users to have their own desktop, then this will only be possible with something like Windows Terminal Services.  I don't know if that comes with Win 2K server, but if it does, you may possibly be able to serve two remote clients simultaneously.  Start by reading the manual for Terminal Services.  :)
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

death-of-dos

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
      i think you can do it in XP using remote desktop connection, although the pc you are connecting to (terminal server) must have XP Pro i believe.

or, again if you have xp pro on your pcs, you can set up a roaming profile which you can log onto from any other pc on the same network. just go microsoft support and type xp roaming profile, that should find it.