Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: motherboard problems  (Read 2471 times)

reetsy

motherboard problems
« on: April 03, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »
My sister and I each purchased emachines, within 1-1/2 motherboards on both fried...both out of warranty and emachine no longer makes the replacement board.  Any suggestions, emachine customer support basically says......no warranty, too bad for you!! :'(

Unfortunately for me, went mine went about 4 months ago. I purchased another emachine and have my fingers crossed each time I boot up.  Does anybody else have an issue with emachines and fried motherboards???    Any suggestions?

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: motherboard problems
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 09:59:26 AM »
    Read my - wait, my signature is changed. Did you get the warranty this time around? Because if it's happened before, it WILL happen again. That's what you get from an E-machine - their substandard hardware causes great issues.

I used to have an E-machine before I sold it to my dad. During my ownership of it:

*Monitor button broke (I didn't hit it THAT hard, it was a cheap button)
    *Faceplate was removed after power button broke
    *Speakers died (I swear, I had the volume at a sane level!)
    *Mouse turned green. (Eew!)
    *Keyboard broke

I think there was more, too... and it's all because of sub-standard equipment that E-Machines ought to be accountable for.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 10:04:26 AM »
    Do you and your sister have surge protectors on your computers?  I don't think what you've experienced is characteristic of eMachines.   Don't get the cheapest surge protector you can find; some of them of probably offer very little protection.  Even better than a surge protector is a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), in other words, a battary backup unit.  

reetsy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 01:50:34 PM »
    Yes, we both have surge protectors and did not buy cheap ones...I now have a battery backup on mine......but if the fan goes on the motherboard - that is not going to help.  Talked to a manager at Best Buy where machines were purchased.......the story I got is........and I quote:  Most machines today will develop some sort of hardward problem within the first three years.   It does not matter what brand you buy......some are DOA when they arrive in our store!! unquote........the conclusion I came to......no matter what kind of computer you buy.....make sure you get the FULL EXTENDED WARRANTY for your own protection because what is out there is basically all junk!!!    At least with a warranty in your hot fist.....they will repair and or replace it.  I really expected a new computer to last more than 1-1/2 years.  Reetsy

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 04:12:40 PM »
      And that, my friend, is why it always pays off to build your own PC. It takes some real skill, but it looks like you're OK with changing out hardware... wait, you did use those offsets, right? If so, then you're all set. It doesn't have to be top-of-the-line, but if you put together a machine it will last longer, run better, and be more satisfying than a pre-built machine.

I'm not saying that you have to put together a machine, or that it will be easy, but hey, if you can do it, and you do it, then you're all set.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
      I don't buy from BestBuy etc., but I have rarely had a machine go down within 3 years. I have solme golden oldies and some newer ones, but a power supply is the most I have ever had to change on one. Never had a burnt out motherboard, etc. They DO like selling extended warranties, but even components have warranties through the manufacturer. (New Seagate drives have a 5 year warranty, wherever they were bought that costs nothing extra!)

I would certainly shop elsewhere. Best Buy and the volume dealers low ball the price with lowball parts, and don't even include a proper Windows CD. Why would you want that?

reetsy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 09:45:14 AM »
      I really appreciate the feedback from those who responded to my motherboard problems....unfortunately, I know zip about replacing parts.....we are both senior citizens....when my computer first died, I took it to my local computer fix-it shop....that is where I learned it was the motherboard....I trust people.....but maybe it wasn't the motherboard at all.....they want $300 to fix it --- maybe it is a power supply problem.....how do you find someone you can trust on these matters.....seems like everyone out there just wants your $$$$  at whatever the cost!!   From my experiences, most of us out here don't know a thing about them....just turn it on and muddle through the internet - and hope you don't get hacked, smacked and zapped by the enemy within.

I am so happy to find Computer Hope and am glad there are good people left in the world that actually want to help other.......keep up the good work  ---  all of you!!  It is much appreciated!  Reetsy :)

reetsy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 06:54:07 PM »
      Another question on the motherboard problem......I opened the case on one of the emachines....even tho it was not getting power or turning on.....there is a little green light that lights up on the motherboard.....does this mean that the motherboard is alive and well.....I am thinking now that it may just be  a power supply problem......no fans turning on the ps or the motherboard...thanks, Reetsy

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 06:15:25 AM »
      The light means it is connected to the power supply and it is plugged into the wall. It does not necessarily mean all is well. Some motherboards have different lights for a quick status report or to send you the right direction to problem solve, but nothing comprehensive.

SOme eMachines have proprietary motherboards, and some (since Gateway bought them) have more standard components. Post your exact model # and we can see if any info is available.  ;)

reetsy

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 07:56:09 AM »
      My emachine Model  T-2682

Motherboard Imperial GLVE  Part NO. 100614
      PS - 250 Watt
      CPU - Celeron 2.6G 478P  128K F400
      HDD - 80GB  5499 rpm
      Mem - DDR-RAM 256MB (Max.2GB)
      CPU Fan Type - H/S El-P4 2.6  462P

Thanks!!  Reetsy

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 09:33:18 AM »
      Here's a link to some folks who have had problems with dead motherboards on that model after about 2 years. I think a MB replacement is the way to get the box up and running (and maybe change out the power supply as well) but to re-use the components you would have to make a careful choice of board.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=eMachine+T-2682

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 10:09:33 AM »
        My emachine Model  T-2682

Motherboard Imperial GLVE  Part NO. 100614
        PS - 250 Watt
        CPU - Celeron 2.6G 478P  128K F400
        HDD - 80GB  5499 rpm
        Mem - DDR-RAM 256MB (Max.2GB)
        CPU Fan Type - H/S El-P4 2.6  462P

Thanks!!  Reetsy

Your machine is my old one. Exactly. Same model. Now I'm not surprised your machine is failing. I don't know if Gateway will help, but eMachines made sub-standard equipment, and I see no reason why they will change - unless Gateway makes them change.

My signature used to read, plainly, "Never buy an eMachine!" If I have to share one more time what trouble I had with eMachines, I swear, the next QA topic will be "My trouble with eMachines" so I can reference it.

Everyone is neurotic about something. Mine is eMachines. I loathe the concept of them after being forced to spend two years with one, and everything breaking BUT the motherboard.... grrrr.....

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »
        Brings back bad memories does it?  >:(

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 10:25:08 AM »
          Alright. I'll list them all ONE more time. But I'm bookmarking it so I can reference it. I know it can't go in the Q&A forum.

1. Speakers died. Modified my semi-portable stereo to include connections to the headphone jack.
          2. Keyboard plug destroyed. Keyboard replaced.
          3. Mouse turned GREEN. Mouse replaced.
          4. Tried to install AGP video card. There is no AGP slot on the MB. >:( Got refund, payed $20 more for a PCI video card.
          5. Monitor button broke. Never truly fixed.
          6. DVD drive stopped responding; reader was broken. Replacement bought for $50.
          7. Computer power button broke. Faceplate removed.

This is in chronological order. You can imagine why I don't trust pre-built machines.