Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bogus windows  (Read 2526 times)

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    Bogus windows
    « on: April 08, 2006, 06:44:22 AM »
    Hello. Looking for an answer. I recently bought a new laptop off ebay because the price ended pretty cheap. A new hp for 400. Anyways when I received item it had the windows c.o.a. sticker removed and had a bogus dell oem windows install on it. I know this is illegal and the seller has been non responsive as well as ebay and paypal. All they care about is that it was paid for and proof of shipping. Here is my question, if I buy a full install of xp pro , will it come with a c.o.a. sticker I can put on this laptop to show it has a valid windows system on it? If not how do I go about doing this?
    WRWSS

GX1_Man

Re: Bogus windows
    « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 09:13:57 AM »
    Yes, a new XP box will have all you need. OEM version is about as cheap as an upgrade. It depends if you have a previous version of Windows to installthe upgrade version. (It doesn't have to be loaded, just available.)

Out of curiosity, what was the eBay item number? There may be some more recourse that way, depending on how it was listed.

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • PITTSBURGH,PA.
      « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 09:29:36 AM »
      What is the difference between oem and retail box version? Is oem the disc that comes with new systems that people sell? Is it possible to get a valid windows with a C.O.A. STICKER to install where the other sticker was ripped off? I don't know what the difference is between oem and bretail boxed. I have only ever used a volume licensed copy of xp to install but with that I dont have any stickers, and that is what I'm after.
      WRWSS

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:50:41 AM »
      Both are the same in content. The licenses are a little different. The OEM version is tied to use on that machine, whereas the retail can theoretically be transferrred to a new machine (if Microsoft agreees) once it has been removed from the old one. EULA's are available at the MS site.

The sticker itself is a moot point, unless it is a cosmetic issue. There are no sticker police out there, you just need to have that COA number available as proof of licensing, and of course to install. I think both versions should have them, but check with your retailer. The OEM does.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16837102062

Full retail (no upgrade) is pricey!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:52:16 AM by GX1_Man »

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 10:10:29 AM »
        Thanks for your information. I am still going to try to get my cash back. I am worried this is a stolen machine and I dont want to be the one getting busted.
        WRWSS

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 10:21:42 AM »
        I would still be interested in the eBay listing number to review, as I do a lot of business on eBay.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 10:21:56 AM by GX1_Man »