Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player has taken over my computer  (Read 3445 times)

reisender

Windows Media Player has taken over my computer
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:10:25 PM »
At some point in the last couple of days, WMP has become the default player for all of the websites I visit.  nhl.com, break.com, comedycentral.com etc. they've all mysteriously changed media players on me, and none of the clips work anymore!

I generally stay far far away from using IE and WMP whenever possible, and usually use winamp as my default and quicktime for websites or failing that, realplayer.  I'm on Win XP home, using firefox 1.5.0.1 with norton protection and have WMP 9.

I tried looking for ways to change the media player, such as deleting all of my cookies and revisiting the sites so I could select my preferred MP, which nhl.com always does, but now all of a sudden, it's not asking me, just automatically WMP.  

I also tried opening winamp, then going to "Set program access and defaults" in the start menu, checking "custom" and making sure it is set to "my current media player".  Doesn't seem to work.  

reisender

Re: Windows Media Player has taken over my compute
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:11:02 AM »
Seems I've solved my own problem.  I still can't explain why everything changed all of a sudden though.  I downloaded WMP 10 (as I had 9) and now the websites work.