Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows xp when on ie  (Read 5340 times)

stevecadogan

windows xp when on ie
« on: April 09, 2006, 04:39:29 AM »
whwn logged as administrator can access sites that can no access fully when logged as normal user

GX1_Man

Re: windows xp when on ie
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 07:34:20 AM »
It depends what rights the user has set up and preferences in IE. Can you be specific?

stevecadogan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 11:40:29 AM »
have internet priv set as low . can not change any thing ie access ,  as a user but when logged as admin can access full access to sites normal  users can not. this is driving me nuts

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 07:31:03 PM »
Steve:

Windows XP Home has just two user types: Administrator and Limited User (or what Windows 2000 called a User account).

If you have Windows XP Professional, you can change the Limited User to a Power User, if you disable simple file sharing, and then change the user account to power user in Computer Management.  A Power User should have no problems using IE under normal circumstances.  Let us know if you have XP Pro and need help.

Doc
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 07:36:39 PM by pcdoc4christ »

stevecadogan

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 01:23:10 AM »
yes I do have xp pro and would be grateful for your advise.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 05:59:37 PM »
Try changing the Limited User account to a Power User:

1. Right-click My Computer and click Manage
2. In Computer Management, double-click Local Users and Groups, and click Groups
3. Right-click Power Users and click Properties
4. In the Power User Properties dialog box, click Add
5. Type the user name and click Check Names (you should see the computer name followed by the user name appear in the box)
6. Click OK and OK and close Computer Management
7. Restart your computer

You should be able to use IE with the user account that you have now changed to a Power User (essentially, a power user can do almost everything an Administrator can do but change an Administrator's settings).

Let us know how it goes.
Doc

stevecadogan

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 01:59:33 AM »
Went through and changed user to Power User and than visited one of the sites I could access as administrator. Still did not view correctly , however It gave me a message to install macromedia. This was already installed and worked when logged as administrator. I removed macromedia and re installed now working.

Many thanks

Backdated

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 07:22:57 PM »
Use the Group Editor console in future. It's very versatile.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 07:08:49 PM »
UR Welcome.  Come back and see us any time.