Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it possible to download genuine Windows?  (Read 2675 times)

Soviet_Genius

Is it possible to download genuine Windows?
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:53:15 AM »
I've heard that you can download a genuine copy of windows from the Microsoft website for free if you have your number. Is this possible? Because I don't have a copy of XP on a CD, it came preinstalled on my computer and there is a sticker on the case of my computer that has the key

GX1_Man

Re: Is it possible to download genuine Windows?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:06:35 PM »
No, in these cases you have to either get a copy from whoever sold you the machine (the OEM) or buy another.

Great licensing huh? That's why I use Linux.  ;D

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »
 :(

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 07:23:05 PM »
Right.  On our newest Compaq it did not come with a system restoration DVD.  We had to make one using a program installed on the hard drive, and then it warned us that we should keep the DVDs in a safe place because the program would not let us make a second copy!  I suppose if a virus caused havoc before we burned the system restoration CD, we'd have to call HP.  

Who is the manufacturer of your PC, Soviet?  I have most of the support phone numbers along with tricks to get past the recordings to a live person.

Doc  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 07:23:45 PM by pcdoc4christ »