Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD ROM  (Read 9563 times)

Yoni

Re: CD ROM
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 11:42:20 AM »
Well, the Dell support is wrong. I took out just one of my drives (the DVD) and hooked it up to another computer in my house and it works on there. Also tried replacing the cable in my computer, and those 2 drives don't work.

Also switched around the cables in the mother board, so the HD hooked up to where the cd was in, and the HD worked.

So its not the CD rom drives, the cable or the connection to the motherboard.

In the device manager I see no cd rom drives, nor as a result any ! points.

I was going to run some tests using my Dell CD, but of course I can't as the CD rom drive doesn't work.

Is there a scandisk in windows xp?

merlin_2

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 01:12:00 PM »
try the bios again and use setup the defaults option....do you know if the desktop  clock is running slow? did you install the reg patch...cdgone?or take alook at this >http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_missing_cd_or_dvd_drive.htm
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 01:33:36 PM by merlin_2 »

Yoni

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2004, 06:14:06 PM »
Here is the situation.

1. DVD drive works, as I tried it on another computer
2. CD Burner does not work, even by itself on my computer, or trying it on another computer.
3. When it doesn't work, starting the computer, it gives me an error before loading windows xp, claiming one of the hard drives is missing, and it cannot be recognized in the bios
4. This is the image I get with the cd burner only in the computer (on mine, and another),

5. So, I took it out of my computer, and left only the DVD drive connected, and walla, it worked. So my computer works just with the DVD drive in it, but for some reason when you put the burner in, it gives me that error screen and then does not show either drive on my computer (funny thing is, on the other computer I tested that burner on, with another drive that was in it, it gave me that error, but the other cd rom drive did work still)

6. I still don't get what is up with the burner. It has been working last week.

7. On another note, the windows update thing showed me that I should download a patch to remove MyDoom. I downloaded that, and still the above problems persist. What does MyDoom affect?

Yoni

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2004, 06:24:06 PM »
try the bios again and use setup the defaults option....do you know if the desktop  clock is running slow? did you install the reg patch...cdgone?or take alook at this >http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_missing_cd_or_dvd_drive.htm

How do I reset the defaults? I don't see that option. I installed teh cdgone, didn't work. This problem has more to do with the BIOS seeing it, not windows xp, as its not even in the devices.

merlin_2

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2004, 06:11:06 AM »
What You Should Know About the Mydoom and Doomjuice Worms

As for your CD-burner, if it doesn't work on either computers, it is most likely malfunctioning. Did you check to see if the jumpers are configured properly?

Yoni

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2004, 08:07:02 AM »
What You Should Know About the Mydoom and Doomjuice Worms

As for your CD-burner, if it doesn't work on either computers, it is most likely malfunctioning. Did you check to see if the jumpers are configured properly?

The original way it worked was having both the DVD and burner drives with a cable select jumper setting. This is how it was before. I tried that again, didn't work. Then I also tried having the DVD as a master, and the burner as a secondary, and it still gave me errors.

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2004, 09:59:23 AM »
CD Burner does not work, even by itself on my computer, or trying it on another computer.

If the CD-Writer/Reader is properly configured, and you have tested it on two PC's it is most likely malfunctioning. Perhaps this is causing your problems?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 10:01:46 AM by Raptor »

Yoni

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2004, 11:02:31 PM »

If the CD-Writer/Reader is properly configured, and you have tested it on two PC's it is most likely malfunctioning. Perhaps this is causing your problems?

Yup, that is what I believe. Thanks for the help at this forum. Today I went and bought a nice dvd burner (which also writes cds) and it is working in my computer along with my dvd reader. Looks like it is all settled. Thanks again.