Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overwrite  (Read 2933 times)

Frank

Overwrite
« on: August 25, 2004, 02:09:28 PM »
I am using a Windows XP.  While installing a Registry Backup, it was my wish to place it in My Documents.   A small window informed me that "so & so" already existed and asked if I wanted to overwrite.   I believed that the reference was to Registry Backup.   Although I knew I had not installed it previously, I clicked YES.   To my horror, I discovered that the entire contents of My Documents was gone.   The Recycle Bin is empty and two different tries at System Restore did no good.         Is there any way I can recover the contents of My Documents ?                      Frank's Thanks

merlin_2

Re: Overwrite
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 02:18:13 PM »
either re-boot pc keep tapping the f8 key on boot and chose the last good config.....or there is this>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 02:18:36 PM »
There are usually two folders that contain your documents.

I suggest you use Windows Explorer to open them.

One can be accessed by going to C:\Documents and settings and the other one by simply clicking underneath the desktop icon in Windows Explorer.

If that does not help, and the files are very important, you can use a file recovery tool. I have never used one so I have no suggestions for you.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 02:27:55 PM »