Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: one small question  (Read 4147 times)

Cypher

one small question
« on: April 15, 2006, 02:27:21 AM »
well after the automatic updates, which update some security in IE also... there's a problem with my website...

well it's not really a problem. it's just that i use flash menu on my site and usually it works when you hover the mouse over it. but now it shows a square box around it with a message tag "click to activate". it's very anoying, you have to click everytime to activate the my flash menu... is there anyway to disable this or something?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: one small question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 09:29:23 AM »
I don't if there's a setting you can change in your system to stop that square box around it with a message tag "click to activate", but I think I'd be more concerned about how this is going to affect visitors to your site who have also gotten those updates that caused problem to start in your system.  Have you thought about that?  Maybe you need to think about changing to a different type menu.  

If you visit other sites using flash (other than in menus like yours) does it display without showing any message such as the one you're seeing with your menu?  Are these updates ones you got just within the last several days?  My system has prompted me to get new Windows updates, starting a fews days ago, but I haven't downloaded and installed them yet.  Just wondering whether these updates will affect all IE users when viewing sites using Flash.

Cypher

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 10:14:52 AM »
it pretty much affect other flash control also, not just menu... not just my site but lots of video game's site that use flash are also affected...

and this is an update from yesterday... my bro also updates his window and this also affect his IE...

showing the same thing on flash control. seriously it's really annoying...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 10:15:57 AM by Cypher »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 11:14:06 AM »
Can you post the URL to your site?  I just installed the latest Windows updates and I have no problem viewing sites with Flash.  You might find something here that would help: Flash Player Help.

Cypher

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »
my site, http://www.japankore.net, hower over the flash menu...

a big game developer site

http://www.square-enix.com/

just hover the most over the flash and you'll see the box around it too.

if not then your update isn't the latest, i tested it on 3 more computer. all give the same thing after the updates.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 12:21:04 PM »
No problems viewing them here, as far as I can tell.  Here's what I see:
and

I definitely do have the latest updates.  As I said, I just got them earlier today.  There are no more updates out there for my system.  Clearly, I've got the latest.

Even though you say you've tested this on several computers, I think you've other issues.  

Cypher

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 12:34:56 PM »
the flash is viewable but not active... hover your mouse over it, do you see the box around it? and let it stay for a while and you'll see the tag that says, "click to activate"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 12:36:05 PM by Cypher »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 03:47:54 PM »
If this is a browser-dependent security setting, then it's unlikely you can change something to make this work.  You may need to redesign.

Have you tested your site in any browser other than IE?  WIth respect, anyone who designs a web site that only works in IE, should be hung, drawn and quartered.   ;D
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Fed

• Sage
    « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 05:12:19 PM »

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 08:32:41 PM »
    the flash is viewable but not active... hover your mouse over it, do you see the box around it? and let it stay for a while and you'll see the tag that says, "click to activate"
    OK, now I see what you mean, and I agree it's annoying.  And, apparently, it is the result of recent Windows Updates.  I don't knoe what you can do about it; re-designing the site would be a huge task, no doubt.  

However, I believe your description of it is erroneous.  It's an ActiveX issue, not a Flash issue.  Or, it's how you use Flash.  That message, "Click to activate ...", does not appear on every occurrence of Flash when view various sites.  It appears to be the use of Flash in menus or certain other uses that triggers the message.  
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 08:33:29 PM by soybean »

Cypher

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 09:03:47 PM »
    If this is a browser-dependent security setting, then it's unlikely you can change something to make this work.  You may need to redesign.

Have you tested your site in any browser other than IE?  WIth respect, anyone who designs a web site that only works in IE, should be hung, drawn and quartered.   ;D

haha, my site works on fine on netscape, firefox, and it was working fine on IE until the updates...
    i usually make sure it works fine on both firefox and IE, since those are the two most used browser.

so no way to go around this?

and yeah sorry, maybe i wasn't clear. i thought it was a flash thing... to be honest i don't even know what active x is, i only know how to make flash menus with a simple program that i have...
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 09:11:25 PM by Cypher »

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »
      "Microsoft has acknowledged that not all Web site developers will have modified their pages to account for IE's new behavior -- the easiest way for developers to sidestep user activation is to call the ActiveX controls via JavaScript -- and so will also release a patch on Tuesday to delay the changes."

Cypher

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 12:50:30 AM »
      is there any way to fix this?

i mean it's really annoying...

view this page.

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/photos/

i use that same flash gallery script for one of my site too... view it with the new updates in IE... and then view it in firefox...

see? it doesn't even work at all on IE. It was working before the upgrade.

this new thing is so lame! i find alot of problems with it.
      « Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 12:51:50 AM by Cypher »

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
        « Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 01:01:29 AM »
        In Add/Remove Programs, you can check a box that says "Show Updates" above the file list (assuming you have XP). Now all you have to do is scroll down and find the right one. But make sure you know which is the correct update to remove; if you don't, the situation will be vaguely similar to Indy Jones and the Last Crusade. (He chose..... poorly.....)
        "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 04:28:35 PM »
        It appears to be the Security Update for Windows XP (KB912812).