Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Frontpage vs dreamweaver  (Read 7956 times)

bagelgeek

Frontpage vs dreamweaver
« on: April 15, 2006, 08:17:06 AM »
Can we discuss the pros and cons of using either dreamweaver or frontpage, so maybe I can finally decide which way to go.  Thanx

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Frontpage vs dreamweaver
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:55:59 PM »
I have never used Frontpage, but I am using Dreamweaver 8. The Pros to Dreamweaver is that you can manage your server's files between users, prevent two users from accessing one file at the same time. Also, Dreamweaver offers the split design feature, allowing you to view the site code and also use its graphical interface at the same time. The cons would be possibly slower upload time, aand a little less user friendlyness with uploading by the way.

Flame

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »
Very few self-respecting web designers that I know use FrontPage.  It messes your code up badly.  It uses non-standard formats and technologies.  It does not produce good code, and although it can produce good results, it often does this in an inefficient manner.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 04:05:05 PM »
Well, afterall... It IS a Microsoft product  ;)

Flame

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 04:16:51 PM »
Quite.  I made an error in my last post.  In fact NO professional web designer that I know of uses FrontPage.  Many of them use Dreamweaver.

shoon81

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:33:26 AM »
I'm a dreamweaver user, seeing it is made my Macromedia it makes it easier to add flash buttons and other flash content to the website you are making.
Although I have not put any flash content on the site, look at my signature it will link you to my site that I have made with dreamweaver.
All in all I think dreamweaver offers a more user friendly interface.
For example when I was working on frontpage I created a table, after creating the table I decided I wanted to add another row to the table but no where on frontpage could I find this feature and had to recreate the table. On dreamweaver how ever, I created the table and decided I wanted another row and I managed to add another row to the table without creating a new table !

For my ratings I would rate them as follows,
FrontPage 6/10
DreamWeaver 8/10

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 06:39:04 PM »
    For example when I was working on frontpage I created a table, after creating the table I decided I wanted to add another row to the table but no where on frontpage could I find this feature and had to recreate the table.

On FrontPage 2003:

Table > Insert > Rows or columns

I don't use FP but I do remember that. ;)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 09:39:07 PM »
    For example when I was working on frontpage I created a table, after creating the table I decided I wanted to add another row to the table but no where on frontpage could I find this feature and had to recreate the table.
    With FrontPage 2000, this can be done 3 ways that I know of:
    1) From the main menu, Table, Insert, Rows or Columns
    2) Right click on the table and select Insert Row
    3) With the cursor in the lower right cell of a table, just hit the tab key; a new row is added.

julle

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 12:55:11 PM »
    I used frontpage, for learning html. Then someone said me I was terrible wrong, because I learned the wrong codes, then I changed to notepad++ There you can't miss

bagelgeek

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 12:49:34 PM »
    Thanx for all the input, and in the mail today arrived dreamweaver.  Now the fun starts... :o

edsonnlb

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 04:50:36 PM »
    I'm not experienced using FP, but I've seen it. Basicly you have the same features on both FP and DW. The fact I choose DW is the code it gerates. FP does not generate a code based on standards, and with the tendencies of today web design and programming you'll surely have troubles with the headers and MIME Types. Extra, DW brings you a clean code, that's nice when looking the code part instead of the design, easily understood and changeable. Hope this might help! :)

Mindwr@ck

Rookie
      « Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »
      FrontPage just plain sux it adds all kinds of crud to your code that is not needed. I use dreamweaver at work and while it works good for what we do I prefer to use Zend Studio for personal use. I don't even use all of it's features though in fact if I had a text editor like notepad that could do php/mysql code coloring and function as a simple ftp client attached to it I would be in heaven.
      Mindwr@ck

T-Chai

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 02:10:31 AM »
      As i am not as experience with dreamweaver or anyother web design application last 2 years ago i found that starting with dreaweaver is so anoying because i cant do what i want, As example in DW you can not pecificly place the button where you want it but in FP you just drag it and put it in any place, This also goes with button spacing as well. Right now i still havent got enought skill to design a pro site on dreaweaver but with FP i can do it easier.

I am using dreaweaver now but i got to say FP is better for instinctive user and can easier creat better graphical HTML interface instead of using tables and layer on dreaweaver.

wolve

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 06:24:07 PM »
      Use EditPlus and HTML For Dummies.

perfecto

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 05:20:37 AM »
      IMHO, EditPlus isn't worth the cost.  Not because it's a bad program, but because you've got the likes of PHPEditorIDE and Notepad++ available for free.