Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Re-installing XP on Laptop  (Read 2406 times)

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Re-installing XP on Laptop
    « on: April 14, 2006, 01:16:35 PM »
    A client's laptop (Compaq Pressario 2113EU) had all kinds of problems so they tried to re-install Windows (XP Pro), but not from the original WinXP discs.
    I am not sure what happened precisely, but they had lots of error messages referring to missing files and did not succeed.

Now, the status is that the laptop crashes during Windows start-up (even in safe mode), most likely due to missing drivers.
    If I boot from CD, I can still see the data files, but I do not have the software to rescue it.

I have ordered the formal recovery discs from HP/Compaq (the system is 2nd hand and was delivered to the new owner without discs) but I am afraid that installing these will lose the data files (no recent backup, of course) as it will probably go through hard disk formatting.
    So, I need advice from you, experts, out there.

How do I rescue the data? And how do I proceed in the best way?
    Thanks for your help
    Rob

GX1_Man

Re: Re-installing XP on Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 04:15:36 PM »
    I would boot with a Linux Live CD and copy the files to a PenDrive or across a network to a machine with a CDRW.

www.knoppix.com

Burn the file as an ISO with Nero, etc. and then boot the machine with the CD in it. Off you go. Linux saves the day again.

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: Re-installing XP on Laptop
      « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 03:01:40 AM »
      I would boot with a Linux Live CD and copy the files to a PenDrive or across a network to a machine with a CDRW.

www.knoppix.com

Burn the file as an ISO with Nero, etc. and then boot the machine with the CD in it. Off you go. Linux saves the day again.

Sounds very good; will give it a try next week!
      Thank you
      Rob