Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: im a slave of my own hard disk!  (Read 2309 times)

tOnski

im a slave of my own hard disk!
« on: April 16, 2006, 07:05:24 PM »
i have an old hdd that ws infected with a virus from the internet.  I have plans to save some audiofiles.  is there some way i could slave the drive without infecting the master?? btw, the old hdd i was talking about would stop at verifying dmi pool data and im still looking for a way to start it up. ;D but i need all the help i can get

GX1_Man

Re: im a slave of my own hard disk!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:10:21 PM »
You may have mechanical problems in addition to a virus. YOu can run diagnostics from the drive manufacturer's web site. Hook it in as a slave, scan the drive with a good antivirus or Norton, whichever you have, and copy the files over.

tOnski

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 11:28:48 PM »
problem is, i can't boot the hdd bcause it stops at verifying dmi pool data. How can i access the hhd in the first place? can i just slave it without affecting the master? tnx for the help ;D

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 11:56:30 PM »
    What he's saying is that you make it a slave, scan it real good with virus scanners, and copy the files over. As for me: I would format the drive after copying all needed files over to make sure no viruses can affect your computer. It should be pretty safe, so long as you don't activate any files on the drive until you scanned them.

Actually, depending on your scanner, you may be able to just scan the files you need. If they're clean, copy 'em over. Then format what's left to prevent virus spreading. But to be on the safe side, I'd scan my C: drive afterwards for viruses, just in case they do spread. You can never be too careful.
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 11:57:01 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."