Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sony laptop startup problem  (Read 2996 times)

nosbm

Sony laptop startup problem
« on: April 13, 2006, 10:05:43 AM »
Does anybody know if it possible to power a laptop directly from the mains adapter without having the battery fitted? I have briefly tried this but nothing happens when the on button is pushed.

The reason for my query is that I suspect the laptop's battery is no longer useable and may be preventing the laptop from starting properly.  The voltage across the battery terminals is approximately 0.1V. It is a Sony laptop, serial number PCG-FX301/PCG-962C.

After pressing the on button the POST usually completes without error but everything shuts down again a few second later before fully starting Windows.

Best regards,
nosbm

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Sony laptop startup problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 10:19:27 AM »
How old is the battery?

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 03:44:29 PM »
Some machines are like that. WIth a totally dead battery there is no function at all, but when replaced with even a marginal battery they work just fine. I speak from experience of at least two of these situations! That may not be the case here, but it is a possibility.  ;)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 05:07:20 PM »
I'm thinking that the battery is no longer able to recharge due to age. All laptops work differently. Some might allow you to skip using the battery, and just use AC power, but some want the battery in if you want AC.

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 05:24:33 PM »
And believe me, some want a WORKING battery in to use AC.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 05:26:52 PM »
All a big plan so that you have to buy yet another part to make your computer work  :P  Good trap  :-/

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 05:30:37 PM »
 :o :o :o :o$$$$$$$$$ :o :o :o :o

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 08:08:34 PM »
That's what it's all about. Just like PC Support. It used to be a common mission to have a good, helpful relationship with customers. They say it on TV all the time. Do they ever live-up to that mission? Nope. They just want you to pay the extended warranty...  :-/

Flame

lar2018

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 07:47:21 PM »
worth a try...    Boot up with Esc or Function key to get BIOS access, see if anything can be reset there... boot drive etc.  Try booting from different drive.

nosbm

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 03:11:26 PM »
Thanks for the responses and my apologies for not replying before now.

The Li-ion battery is about five or six years old which on it's own may suggest that it is the source of the problem. The entry in Wikipedia on this type of battery says that the lifespan of these batteries is simply a function of age rather than the number of charge/discharge cycles. Also on some occasions it is not even possible to access the BIOS as everything shuts down even at this point. The problem is how to decide whether or not the battery is the only fault.

Finally maybe it is the case that when buying a laptop one should always check whether or not the system will function with the battery removed.

Best regards,
nosbm

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 03:20:44 PM »
If you've got a 6 year old battery it is time for a change if you intend to keep that laptop anyway. My hunch is that it will solve the problem.  ;)

nosbm

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 03:27:16 AM »
Your hunch may well be right as there were no other recent problems. I will post a further response when I eventually get a new battery.

Best regards,
nosbm