Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer hangs at entering setup  (Read 3031 times)

Tammy

computer hangs at entering setup
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:39:18 AM »
Hi, I'm not real familiar with computers, I am running an old gateway 2000 P5-90. Was told to erase my CMOS and restart fresh, but now when I hit my F1 key for entering setup it hangs and never enters. I would appreciate any help. :-[

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer hangs at entering setup
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:18:43 AM »
Who told you to do this, and for what reason?

Flame

Tammy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 11:20:04 AM »
Hi, I was on line trying to get help with my harddrive because my computer just stopped picking it up as a fixed disk and this person who I don't even remember his name told me to erase my cmos while in dos and try re-entering my setup information again, but it seems that I made a bad choice to listen cause now I have no setup at all and can't get into setup to re-enter my info. I can use my floppy disk drive though. :-[

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 05:12:35 PM »
Start by giving us some specific information about the computer - model number, components, etc.

Do NOT mess with the CMOS unless you know what you are doing and there is a specific issue that a BIOS update address. (Both conditions must be met!)

Hopefully you have not killed this poor machine, but we will know soon.