Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Noisy TravelStar  (Read 2029 times)

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Noisy TravelStar
« on: April 18, 2006, 09:01:31 AM »
My PowerBook has an IBM TravelStar 20GN (DJSA-220), and every once in a while it makes a loud "CLANK" noise. I've used two computers with TravelStars from that family and they both do the same thing. But I was wondering what the noise is. Thanks!

-John

GX1_Man

Re: Noisy TravelStar
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 03:01:21 PM »
The clank can be the early signs of hard disk death. I would download the diagnostics from the IBM website and check the drives function pronto.

JohnK

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 08:28:55 AM »
The clank can be the early signs of hard disk death.

The last thing I want to hear about a drive in a computer I just spent $200 on...

I was reading around and I read that the noise is just the heads adjusting themselves. Apparently every drive that was made around that time makes this noise. Does anyone agree with this? The thing is, the drive is only 5 years old.

I would download the diagnostics from the IBM website and check the drives function pronto.
Can't. They don't have a Mac OS X version.

Keep the suggestions coming...
Thanks!

-John

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 03:49:42 AM »
The clank was a problem with previous Deskstar ("Deathstar") drives made by Hitachi for IBM. They frequently died a premature death. It was referred to as a death rattle. Head parking is not that loud in normal drives, or those by other makers.