Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why is my HDD space decreasing?  (Read 2139 times)

JoeyD

Why is my HDD space decreasing?
« on: April 18, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
I just bought a 320 GB external hard drive for my laptop....It came as FAT32 so I reformatted as NTFS. The problem is, when I add files onto my external drive, the disk space on my C drive on my laptop decreases as if I were moving the file onto C. For example, I transferred a 1 gig file from another networked computer in my home to my external drive which was hooked up to my laptop. After the file was done transferring, the disk space on my external AND my C drive was 1 gig less. I tried this multiple times, and the same thing keeps happening. I had about 10 free gigs on my laptop (which is why I bought an external drive) so I tried adding 10 gigs worth of files onto my external to see what would happen. Sure enough, near the end of the file transfer, I got a popup message saying "Low disk space on C...Free some space..blah blah blah." I don't understand why the drive space on C is diminishing as I fill up my external. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Why is my HDD space decreasing?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 01:00:22 PM »
Is this external connected to your laptop by USB port?  What's your procedure for adding files to the external drive?  Via Windows Explorer or what software?

JoeyD

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 02:38:30 PM »
Its connected thtough USB 2.0. I tried all kinds of ways of transferring files. First I copied and pasted files from my C drive to my external. When I do that, the space on my C stays the same (as if I never moved the files.) Then I transferred files from another comp to my external (while it was hooked up to my laptop). I just transferred the files through AIM direct connect for that. When I did that, the file took up space on both my external and my C drive.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:39:55 PM »
As you noted, copy and paste from you laptop to the external drive does not move the files, it just copies them.  If you want to move them, use Cut and Paste, or copy and paste, then delete them from the laptop.  

Do you keep the external drive connected to the laptop all the time?  Do you want to move some of your data files to it and work from it rather than your C drive when adding new files or editing exsiting files?  For example, you could actually move your My Documents folder to the external drive.  

The major problem here seems to be your procedure for copying files from the other computer(s).  Going through AIM is not the best way to do it; I'd say it's a bad way to do it.  Do you have the computers actually networked?  If not, I believe you need to focus on getting them networked and setting up file sharing.  Then, you should be able to mark that external drive as "shared", thereby giving it direct access to the other computer(s).   I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure this will stop the intermediate copying of files to your laptop when you want to copy/move files from computers other than the laptop to the external drive.

To reiterate, networking and file sharing is a solution.  Also, if you're using the external drive mainly as a backup device, you could connect it directly to other computers as long as they have a USB port available.