Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE 6 not automatically adding url prefix  (Read 2898 times)

LtScho

IE 6 not automatically adding url prefix
« on: April 19, 2006, 05:40:56 AM »
hi i have a problem with possibly a few programs but right now im only sure about IE 6.
when i run IE the window opens up normally and the home page loads.
if i then type a url in the address bar say www.google.com.au and hit enter/click go absolutely nothing will happen the page will stay as the home page and at the bottom of the page it will say done as soon as i add the http:// before the url so say i entered http://www.google.com.au and hit enter/clicked go it will work completely normally. the other program i have had trouble with is and file transfer program that wont transfer the file although i can get access to the location to see the files which im assuming is probably related and is not associating the download with the ftp protocol.

by the way Firefox does not have this problem. It works fine.

i have tried going into the registery and going to the place that specifies the default prefixes to use and everything is normal. I am assuming it is not hardware related as it is specific to these few programs IE 6 and PcAnywhere. i am using Norton Internet security 2006 i have had it installed before this started happening, windows firewall is turned off and so is my router firewall i have tried resetting all of IE internet options with no success as well as resetting the router. i have the latest updates for IE 6 and cannot reinstal IE because when i download the installation file off of the microsoft website and try and install it, it says i have a newer version and it wont install it.

thanks for bothering to read all of that. any help would be apprieciated.

infoseeker

Re: IE 6 not automatically adding url prefix
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 10:26:17 PM »
r u using xp?

have you tried to scan your pc with anti-spyware?

try to look in the IE folder in you program file, click "iedw" icon (ie crash detection

LtScho

Re: IE 6 not automatically adding url prefix
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:03:32 AM »
wow who would have thought i would leave out mentioning im using win xp pro.
anyway yes i have scanned computer with ad-aware, looked in hijack this(nothing out of the ordinary) and scanned with norton anti-virus 2006 nothing turns up.

i clicked on the file iedw.exe nothing happened?

thanks for your response.