Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Basic PC problem.  (Read 5791 times)

Basic PC problem.
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:03:43 PM »
I have and Intel 4 desk computer thats about 2 yrs old. I am not very good with computers so this is pretty basic, but the tower part of the computer constantly hums like the fan is on ALL THE TIME! It never has done this before, it just started recently. Nothing has changed, its not dirty or dusty, there are no program problems, but it drives me bonkers. In the past the fan (or whatever) has come on for a few minutes, but then you wouldn't hear it again for like an hour, now, like I said, its on all the time. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Basic PC problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 09:08:26 PM »
Have you made any changes to your system recently? Install anything new? Running any new or additional programs? What about the external environment? Have you changed the room temperature? Do you have virus and Spyware protection? Yes, I know. It sounds funny for a virus or Spyware infection to be causing this, but it's possible, trust me. A friend of mine once had a virus that made the CD drive constantly open and close. Funny how these things work.

Flame

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 09:17:53 PM »
Thanks Flame for your prompt reply. We have spybot, ad ware, norton 2004 and the window xp firewall. No programs recently installed that coincides with this problem. Do I have to manually run spybot, adware etc for it to scan/fix my system or is it automatic? Because I have never prompted them to scan the computer. Norton does it once a week. Maybe thats an issue?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:22:48 PM »
     1724....... Perhaps you should consider opening up the case and seeing exactly what it is thats humming ...... You probably have .....
    a fan running in your PSU , at least one case fan , a cooling fan on the cpu and possibly a fan on your vid card .......

Try and track down the source.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 09:27:04 PM »
    As you can tell, I am not savy with this stuff. I just thought I had one fan.  :-/ I will try that and see whats going on!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 09:28:51 PM »
    If my memory serves me correctly, unless you buy the upgraded version of Spybot and Adaware, you must run the scans manually. I suggest running these programs. I would also be curious to see how your computer temperatures are looking. Here is a link to Everest Home Edition. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html ... I want you to download and install it, and once it is open, click on the Report Button. Once prompted, put the bullet point next to all pages, and let it make the report in HTML. This may take just a minute or two to complete after clicking on Finish. Once Everest says that the report is complete, click on the Save To File Button, and save to the desktop with the name of your choice. After that, please attach this file to your next message on this topic. I will then review it for you, as will other members. If you have any questions, let us know.  ;)

Flame

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 09:38:41 PM »
    OK, thanks..I will run those scans and download that report..Thanks! :D

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 09:39:56 PM »
    Sure thing. Just post your results and I'll get to them ASAP.

Flame

Mindwr@ck

Rookie
      « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 11:07:10 PM »
      Something else you could look at is do you have anything on the tower that that would cause a vibration sound? also it might be a fan, your case may been clean and not look dusty but some fans (ball bearing ones) tend to get dust inside of them causing them to hum or  fail.
      Mindwr@ck

bai1_katz

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 09:59:20 PM »
      just check up all the wirings or peripherals inside ur pc or maybe they r only scrummbled that can cause noise in ur fan or in your computer...
      « Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 10:01:14 PM by bai1_katz »