Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: EIDE hard drives compatible with SATA MoBo?  (Read 2817 times)

eeyore2123

EIDE hard drives compatible with SATA MoBo?
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:51:03 PM »
Hi!
Please don't laugh at this if this is an elementary question. I've been out of the loop when it comes to technology for the last 4 years or so and am looking at upgrading my computer.

Currently, I have a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard with a 2.26 ghz intel CPU that pushes 2 IDE hard drives (one is running on a WinPromise driver, but I do not have RAID set up), 2 optical drives (CD-RW and a CD-ROM), floppy drive and a Zip drive.  I built this computer myself. This motherboard runs on PC800 or 1066 RAMBUS RIMM which is very expensive even now (512 mb will set you back about $150-200). Right now, my mobo only has 512 mb and a graphic artist, I need more speed with applications!!

I was looking at the new Gigabyte GA-G1975x motherboard  with a 3.0+ ghz CPU (HT) for an upgrade, but I see that it is SATA. Will my IDE hard drives and optical drives work with this motherboard? If so, how?  Also, I wondered about the RAM -- does it have to be installed in pairs like the RAMBUS RIMM in my current system?  I really don't want to give up my IDE hard drives as they are less than 1 year old. If they are not compatible with this new mobo that I'm looking at, is there a way to convert them?  By the way, what is Hyper Threading? I saw that on the spec sheet for the new mobo.

I am sooooo out of the loop!

Please advise.

I don't want to make the mistake of buying everything for a new computer to build and then see that I will have compatibility issues.

Thanks for your help!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: EIDE hard drives compatible with SATA MoBo?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:13:17 PM »
Yes, you can use your IDE drives in it, since it has IDE connectors as well as the SATA connectors, according to GIGABYTE GA-G1975X Turbo Motherboard Review :: The G1-Turbo Features.

Re: Hyper Threading, I suggest you search via Google.  There's plenty of info out there.

eeyore2123

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 07:48:21 PM »
I did read the review that was provided for me in the last post and saw that the mobo that I was looking at upgrading to does have 2 EIDE connections. However, how would this help for my situation? I have 2 EIDE hard drives, 2 EIDE optical (CD-RW, CD-ROM) drives and an IDE zip drive.  Also, I wondered about the speed factor...since I not be utilizing the SATA connections, I probably wouldn't be using all the speed potential either, right?  Is there a cable that allows for an IDE device to be connected to a SATA connector -- like an adapter cable?

Also, after reading the review on the GA-G1975x mobo, I was unclear whether the RAM had to be installed in pairs or not. I am not anxious to move into another motherboard that forces paired installation of RAM, but would like something as speedy.

Any suggestions on a smokin fast computer that I could use my existing storage devices with and a motherboard that does not have to have paired RAM installation?

Thanks for the help.

Please reply.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:24:42 PM »
To use dual channel mode,you have to have dual channel memory in pairs.

Each IDE channel can support two devices,so everything should work IF the memory is appropriate. But the fifth device coulod be problematic unless you get a PCI - IDE card to run the Zip drive. How was this set up on your previous machine?

eeyore2123

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:47:39 AM »
You asked how my IDE drives are currently set up on my computer. Well, let me see if I can remember....it's been so long.

I know that the IDE zip drive is plugged into it's own IDE connection on the mobo -- a smaller style IDE connection (more wires on the cable).  The hard drives - one is plugged into the 133 connection and the other into the 100 connection. 1 hard drive (I think the 133 connection) is set up on a WinPromise (RAID) driver so that I could hook up the 2 IDE optical drives without a problem.  I am not, however, running an actual RAID array on this system.

This system was built 4 years ago and only ONE hitch during that time -- a virus that caused me to format and reintall windows -- but it was time for a good cleaning.

I'm not sure if this style of connection hard drives makes sense to you but I think it's the best I can explain it.  There are 4 ide slots on my current motherboard -- two 2 x UDMA ATA 133/100/66 Bus Master IDE ports  and 2 x UDMA ATA 100/66 Bus Master IDE ports.