Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NO SOUND on LAPTOP {WIN XP}  (Read 5350 times)

soundblaster

NO SOUND on LAPTOP {WIN XP}
« on: April 21, 2006, 05:08:09 AM »
I have read them all......COMPAQ SUCKS!
but that has not helped me!is there computer hope???
I am on my third full format with WIN XP PRO UPGRADE into a 1200XL400 compaq presario notebook.It is an upgrade from WIN 2k.When WIN 2k was running the notebook had sound,no problem,then the notebook was upgraded to WIN XP PRO{upgrade CD from WIN 2k  for WIN XP PRO home use} there was still sound after the upgrade.The notebook was then used by another family member who downloaded something {I still am not shure what the download was  :-( but heard rumors thru the household that it was KRYSTAL SOUND audio SOFTWARE??? which was since unistalled} since this covert event my Presario Notebook has had NO SOUND but the drivers for VIA WDM are in and working properly so they report and the devce manager has reported NO ISSUES! but I have no sound!FRUSTRATING!went thru the entire windows xp sound troubleshooting proccess with NO JOY then I went to the HP site and downloaded the sound driver package for this notebook and reinstalled the driver with ZERO results for sound.About this time I am now browsing forums and reading other horror stories of PRESARIO user who have had sound issues with this " on MUTHER BOARD" sound chip and driver issues with it! HELP!!!I have decided to try a FORMAT C: and fall back and regroup and start from square one.So at this point ,as I said I am on my third full RE-FORMAT of the drive with the WIN XP PRO upgrade with NO JOY and have subscribed to the notion that COMPAQ really does suck! so is there COMPUTER HOPE for this issue???or am I destined to now go buy a creatives SOUND BLASTER USB CARD so I can again have SOUND {AUDIO IN/OUT} on my PRESARIO ...sigh.
For 40 bucks the USB sound card is looking good at this point with 17 reviews read and NO weakness report and all 9's and 10's in the reviews,HOWEVER I still would be at odds with myself as to *censored* happened to this NOTEBOOKS audio  and what the issue was???any ideas any HELP!
anyone here had this problem?
Signed
SOUNDBLASTER :-/

GX1_Man

Re: NO SOUND on LAPTOP {WIN XP}
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:35:45 AM »
I had that problem on a ThinkPad once. THe drivers were installed correctly, but no sound after a reinstall. The answer was the sound mute button on the keyboard had been pressed prior to all of this. Once I repressed it again to turn on the sound it worked just fine. It was very amazing that this lasted through two reformats and reinstalls as a hardware setting. Just a thought.

If you install WInXP fresh, what do you see in Device Manager under sound?

soundblaster

Re: NO SOUND on LAPTOP {WIN XP}
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »
I see that everyting is fine it saiz I have NO ISSUES everyting is wotking properly.....NOT!
It tells me I have VIA WDM drivers installed and they are working oy vey!
I have a think pad also and I know what you mean about the sound keys "FN" "BACKSPACE" "PG UP" PG DN" to bad COMPAQ doesn't have this!would make life simple! Welp on my fourth format and re-install going to try loading WIN 2K audio drivers for 1200XL400 Presario notebook.Wish me luck! :'(