Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Im in BEEP *censored*...!!  (Read 2964 times)

rat

Im in BEEP *censored*...!!
« on: April 23, 2006, 12:30:20 AM »
SOS My old computer ( Aptiva 2170-72 ) has developed a beep code that I do not understand and will not start up!!...have searched on web but no results, I fear it might be FATAL !!!!....2 long 2 short.......but when I swap memory into 2nd slot 2 long 3 short !!!!!.......have lost the details of m board but do know it is a 550 mhz 128 ram...am I in dead city ????

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Im in BEEP *censored*...!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:01:42 AM »
What bios :-?  Phoenix, Award etc...

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

rat

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 02:01:16 AM »
sorry Mate, U just reminded me about that....I flashed the dios to ACER V3.2 6m2en5r...and it worked well while computeter was working ..thnks for reminding me..hope its a help...regards..

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 03:08:07 AM »
Info is a bit hard to find but if you have a video card try re-seating it.  That's about all I've come across for the bios you mention.

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 07:59:58 AM »
You mentioned it was an Aptiva, then later claimed an Acer BIOS flash. This seems incompatible to me. This is an IBM machine?

rat

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:50:54 PM »
Yes mate its an IBM Pent 111 aptiva.....I flashed the bios with Ver 6m2en5r, I think..... Ive looked it up and = acer....Starting to get lost in tech sorry......Wish Id printed out specs now !!!!!!  sorry.

A BIOS flash gone awry can cause many problems. I hope this is recoverable. But you will need to go to the IBM site, input the seven digit number on your machine xxxx-xxx and search for the correct one. Possibly you will be able to recover this thing, but often not.

BIOS flashes should not be taken lightly and you must be sure of the source and the procedure. Where did you get this one?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 07:09:49 AM by GX1_Man »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 11:31:23 PM »
     rat......  What operating system do you have installed ?
    Is it possible to get the number off the bios chip and we may be able to find a compatible bios update .
    Do you get any error message or error code on the screen when you turn it on ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

rat

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 07:58:06 AM »
    Sorry for the sporadic replys guys......Access to I net is limited...to answer both questions......When I FLASHED bios (about a year ago ) computer worked ok...The story is Ive got a new computer. I had 2 Hard disks in old one 10gig (original) and a 40gig.....Had Windows 98se installed on 40gig music on 10gig....Have taken out all added cards eg 32mb video, sound card, TV card, and stripped all back to origional....still get beeps!!!!.....Question......If I take out ALL ram......should I get a Bios responce on screen ?...only has 1 stick of 128mb 100mhz f buss...AM I getting ahead of myself ?????? IE stoopid !!...cheers all and thanks.

rat

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 12:52:20 AM »
    Again sorry about lag...guys...have found a sticker on bios reads  " V66M BIOS U26 V3.2R05-MO (or D !!!!) eyesight not good !!!!...think it says albatron at the bottom....( The writing is SO small I cannot read it with my really bad eyesight !!!)....
    Have also found a serial no .1159138A\B71BAAD2ZZ6. system......if thats any help??.......Guys I hope this sheds some light on the situation and Use may be able to help me out as Ive already per sold this computer after upgrading...
    Cheers guys and thanks for all uour help so far !!!!!!

rat

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 01:54:28 AM »
    OK Sorry about this guys....still having probs with this....I have found info.....Model 2172-71B  S/N: AA_D2ZZ6.......
    I CANNOT find ANYTHING about this model computer on the net (Including IBM) !!!!!! ANY help would be appreciated....cheers !!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 05:02:11 PM »
    I don't believe IBM units ever had motherboards made by Albatron.  ;)