Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building Custom PC ''power supply''  (Read 2199 times)

BudallicA

Building Custom PC ''power supply''
« on: April 23, 2006, 04:15:11 PM »
HI, i want to combine 5 computers into one big machine inside a rackmount fourniture,  we think we have pretty much everything figure out.  but theres still a few things i need to verify. we want 1 powersupply for all cd roms, 1 power supply for all HDD etc...  

We want one 300w power supply for 6 cd-roms (no MotherBoards, No HDD, just the cd roms) do you think it is safe?  do you think it will cause a problem if i increase the lenght of the powercables?  I know you cant have IDE cables longer then 18 inch, is there a limit for power suppy cables?  Can I use other wires that are not use (black,yellow and red) from the original ''motherboard'' conector to create additional molex (HDD/cd ROM) conectors.

How many HDD would you consider safe to hook on one PowerSupply, nothing else on it just the HDD's?   how much ''Juice'' does a HDD take?

Is it possible To have 2 MotherBoards on one PowerSupply? (again, just the two motherboards would be hooked on the powersupply)    

Any info comments would be very apreciated!

Je connait du monde Bien étrange!  :o

ComputerTech

Re: Building Custom PC ''power supply''
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:28:48 AM »
One power supply should be good (rated at 300w)  You should try to keep the power from extending past 15 feet to ensure that the power doesn't start to dimmish.  Limiting cable is a good way to insure that you keep away from interference.  I cannot answer your question about the power consumption of your CD-ROM/ r/rw... but you should check the manufacturers website for additional information, on the power consumption.  300w should be more than enough for your situation.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:50:50 PM »
    Google "power supply calculator" it will help you in your project.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:54:21 PM »
      BudallicA.....Absolutely. They will never know the differance.
      Can I use other wires that are not use (black,yellow and red) from the original ''motherboard'' conector to create additional molex (HDD/cd ROM) conectors.

Those amps and milli amps are colour blind.......lol.

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.