Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB 2.0  (Read 1776 times)

USB_Hurting_ME

USB 2.0
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:03:10 PM »
Hello,

My computer: Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows XT Pro with Service Pack 2.  

I have unsucessfully tried to update my factory installed USB 1.0 to USB 2.0 using a PCI card type USB.  For some reason my computer won't recognize the new USB ports and as a result I cannot start the driver installation process.  The following are things I've tried already:
1. changed PCI slots
2. manually install the drivers for the new USB card from the mini disc that came with the USB card
3. update my flashBIOS from the Dell website and restart hoping for recognition of the USB card
4. repeatedly plug in a USB component such as my printer with no result.

Under "Device Manager" the USB recognized is still my old 1.0 ports.  There is no mention of the new card.  The only thing I can think of is that my new 2.0 USB card is faulty.  Any advice out there for me?  Thanks ahead of time....

GX1_Man

Re: USB 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:55:40 PM »
SOme of those add in cards are junk, especially with the Ali chipset. It seems you have tried everything except disabling the onboard USB in the BIOS. You might want to check in the Dell support forum (www.support.dell.com) to see if there are any known issues.  ;)

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 07:56:37 PM »
Some of those add in cards are junk, especially with the Ali chipset. It seems you have tried everything except disabling the onboard USB in the BIOS. You might want to check in the Dell support forum (www.support.dell.com) to see if there are any known issues.  ;)

USB_Hurting_ME

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »
It's a miracle! I took out the card, put it another slot (which i have done several times already), turned on my computer and for some reason, this time it was recognized.  Maybe it was because I talked nicely to it instead of cursing....

MANTIS_PROTEGE

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 11:12:29 PM »
Remember the old saying " If you don't have something nice to say , Don't say anything at all"

;D ;)