Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Paint 98SE (illegal operation- constant)  (Read 3949 times)

Kimcar

MS Paint 98SE (illegal operation- constant)
« on: April 24, 2006, 08:35:28 PM »
Using with no problem and today I scanned a document and resized it in Paint and saved in Jpeg and e-mailed it.  Now when I click on MS Paint the illegal operation comes up every time without even showing a blank document screen.  I clicked on a picture that was bmp and it came up with the same illegal operation.  Any fixes?   Thanks

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: MS Paint 98SE (illegal operation- constant)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 06:02:31 AM »
Sounds like you have a few problems.  How is your virus-scanning/spyware-checking, etc?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Kimcar

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 08:51:16 AM »
Running with updated version of ETrust, (spyware,virus checker etc) no indications of entry.  Did disk scan and pc doctor check no problems.  Do not have a disk to reload but may just download the W95 version and live with that if no solution.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »
You might try uninstalling Paint, then reinstalling it.  To uninstall, go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, select the Accessories category and click on Details to find Paint.

Kimcar

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 01:40:53 PM »
soybean!  got down to details and 11 of 11 checked, clicked on paint and went back to the screen that says install/uninstall and a button for have disk. And states 10 of 11 componets selected.  Do not want to wipe out any except paint.  Do not have a disk to reload except from scratch 7 years back. What is this going to do when I say apply?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
Oh, darn, I was thinking about Win XP when I explained the procedure.  The screens in Win 98SE are different, as you would obviously know.  

I just tested the procedure under Win 98SE and, yes, you would need a CD unless you have CAB files on your hard drive.  By that, I mean you copied Win 98SE installation/setup files from the CD onto your hard drive.  If you've done this, you would not need the CD since the procedure we're discussing would look to those CAB files for the needed program, not for the CD.  But, I'd guess you, like most users,  don't have those CAB files on your hard drive.  So, again, you would need your CD.  Sorry about not thinking to mention that in my previous reply.

And, regarding other programs under Accessories, no, they will not be wiped out as long as you do not uncheck the box next to them.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:09:29 PM by soybean »

Kimcar

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:30:10 PM »
Thanks but you are correct in that I do not have the files.   Oh well that is the way things go.

Kimcar

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »
How about doing uninstall mspaint and doing a download of paint95?  At least I would have some usage of it??  what do you think?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 03:55:30 PM »
Well, the references I've seen all discuss Paint95 in connection with Windows 95.  I don't know whether it's OK to install with Win 98SE or not.  Do you have any photo editing progams installed, such as software that came with a digital camera?  Any photo editing program can be used to crop, resize, etc.  If you don't have any, I suggest you download IrfanView.  It's free for personal use and I've seen many favorable comments on it.  Even for commercial users, they only ask $12 for it.

Another popular free program is Picassa, courtesy of Google.  The latest version requires Win 2K or Win XP, but you can get an older version for Win 98SE at http://picasa.google.com/features/requirements.html.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 03:59:26 PM by soybean »

Kimcar

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
Thank You!   I will look into those.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 06:34:44 PM »
    What about uninstall/reinstall of Accessories?
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 10:11:39 PM »
    Apparently, he does not have a Win98SE CD.  Although he never specifically stated that, it clearly seems to be implied.
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 10:12:22 PM by soybean »

Kimcar

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:35:53 PM »
    You are correct that I do not have the wi98se  cd.  Do not know how to get a hold of one or Mspaint.exe.   Thanks all

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 10:35:09 PM »
    Best way to get a Win 98SE CD is ebay.  But, it will probably cost you $50+.