Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adminstrator Access  (Read 2306 times)

arzac00

Adminstrator Access
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:52:16 AM »
Hello.  I have just bought a Dell computer from my sister in law with Windows XP.  She had her and her husband set up as users.  I changed the names of the users to mine and my husbands name and added a third for his mother.  I have installed two new programs.  I had some problems so I rebooted and now any CD I put into the drive does not register.  I think that I have access problems of some sort, but don't know how to fix them.  When I try to log on as one of the other two users it will not let me.  I guess I am lucky it lets me get into this one.  I hope that is enough information for someone to help me.

Thanks
Angi

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Adminstrator Access
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »
    arzac00....... Is the cd not being read only in one user account or in all user accounts ?

Do you have the install/restore cds that came with the pc originally ? ( just in case they are needed )

I had some problems
    ....what sort of problems did you have ?
    What is the tag number on the Dell machine ?  ( just in case we need it )

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

arzac00

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 12:24:25 PM »
    I had installed two programs and wanted to check if they were working, but one needed to register via the internet and this computer isn't connected so I tried to exit the program...it wouldn't let me...so I ended up rebooting somehow.  

I am sure that my sister in law has the CD's somewhere..maybe...she actually bought the computer from some place where people drop off dells that are not what they wanted...or something like that.  I have another Dell with Windows XP Media addition.  Can I use those on the other computer if all else fails.  Anyway, I rebooted again and now I can get into the other two user accounts, but the CD's are not being recognized there either.

I am not sure what you mean by tag number.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:39:54 PM »
    I have another Dell with Windows XP Media addition.  Can I use those on the other computer if all else fails.

One copy of Windows per machine is required for the activation and function  of WIndows.

I am not sure what you mean by tag number.

THe service tag is affixed to the outside of the case - 6 digits or so. It is also able to be seen in the BIOS (F2 at boot).
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 06:42:26 PM by GX1_Man »

arzac00

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 08:18:21 AM »
    Thanks for all your help.  I found that Windows XP has a backup system that lets you restore the system the way it was on any given day.  I restored it for a day or two before I started messing with it and it is now working fine.  Thanks again!

Angi
     ;D

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 08:25:49 AM »
      You mean System Restore worked??? :o YOU MUST SHARE YOUR MYSTICAL OTHER-WORLDLY POWERS!!!

(Seriously, I can never get that thing to work. I just disabled the sucker...)
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."