Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD Drive doesnt read anything  (Read 2087 times)

faechan

CD Drive doesnt read anything
« on: April 26, 2006, 02:18:35 PM »
Okay,

Im doing this for a friend's computer. Its relatively new, an HP Pavillion 555e. The DVD drive works perfectly, but the CD-R/RW drive, (which is a CyberDrv CW088D CD-R/RW) is driving me nuts. It doesnt read ANYTHING, no cds of any type, Ive tried. The weird thing is, Ive updated the drivers, and when I uninstalled then reinstalled the drive, I restarted and a little bubble came up that said "New hardware found" so I clicked the bubble and nothing happened. When I tried to burn a cd, it just ejected the blank disk I put in and said that I needed to insert a blank disk...needless to say this is how I found out it doesnt read anything. I ran some sort of check up on it with the HP Troubleshooting guide, and it said to update the drivers which I had already done! Device Manager says the drive is working perfectly. The computer seems to think the drive is fine, no error mesages every come up about this and when I look in properties of the drive the status is "This device is working properly." Its enabled also, so thats not it.
Im thinking it may have never been formatted, which I dont know how to do. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Please help!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: CD Drive doesnt read anything
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:17:16 PM »
Which operating system are you using? Do you have virus and Spyware protection? When did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently?

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »
If it's"relatively new" is it under warranty?Has this drive ever worked? Think WARRANTY.  ;)

faechan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:32:12 PM »
Operating sytem is Windows XP Home Edition, virus and spyware protection- no (recommendations?), the drive has never worked according to my friend and no changes minor or major have taken place recently.
So I suppose I should find out about the warranty? But before I do so, is there any way I can find out if its just some malfunction?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 08:01:43 AM »
It opbviously is a malfunction if it has never worked. Let HP fix what they sold him. You could replace the whole drive at your expense, but why?  ;)