Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Serious problems with XP Home  (Read 2067 times)

fredfred

Serious problems with XP Home
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:25:53 PM »
I have a Compaq computer with XP home. It has a 2.4 G Intel chip with 512 MByte ram and lowest speed DSL, a CD R/W and DVD drive.
I had been having issues with a very long boot up time and so defeated all the startup applications about 1 month ago.
This made the computer run just great. I use it mostly for internet acces, some document printing and digital photos.
Yesterday I realized that I had also turned off my Synantec Antivirus. Also yesterday I received the latest Windows download upgrade. I reconfigured the system bootup to enabll all startup proccesses so that I could later run my antivirus. At shutdown the little icon was present to install the up grade and then shutdown. I clicked on this and left. Last night when I first turned the computer on after this shutdown, I had lost all of my drivers. There is no internet access, I cannot print and I cannot even load a disc onto the computer. When you put a dics in it says that the Install Wizard is not installed.

Also, the processor was sitting doing nothing using 100% of CPU. I am at work right now and do not remember the two programs. However two programs, one of which was STARTEAK.exe and another were each using exactly 50% of the CPU.

Any suggestions?  

homer

Expert
    Re: Serious problems with XP Home
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 10:21:26 PM »
    definition of starteak.exe:

starteak.exe is installed on mainly Compaq workstations. It allows the configuration of the Compaq keyboard's one-touch keys. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

...u know google is just full of informative links.  ;)
    u might also wanna show us a "hijack this" log, maybe somebody hijacked ur desktop? if u do not have "hijack this" u can retrieve it here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

as for why its taking up 50% of ur cpu...i have no freakin clue so heres a smiley with a rainbow umbrella  [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 12:21:51 AM by homer »