Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen Saver and Power settings don't work  (Read 3233 times)

BobDnm

Screen Saver and Power settings don't work
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:41:44 PM »
I am having a problem with the settings in the Screen Saver, and Power Settings not "Taking" in Win XP Home. I work on computers all the time and NEVER came across this situation before.

The computer in question is an 'E' Machine, w/1024 meg. memory, Windows XP Home edition, w/SP-2 installed, and all the latest Critical Updates from Microsoft.

When I try to set up a Screen Saver, I can select any image I want, but when I click on "Preview", the whoe DeskTop will just blink. I can select any time I want for activation, when the allotted time rolls around, nothing happens.

The same with the "Power" settings, Ie. setting the monitor to shut down after 5 minutes does nothing. The monitor stays on.

One thing I did notice is the usual selections for Power Options, Ie., Home/Office Desk, Portable/LapTop, were missing. Presentation, Always On, Minimal Power Management, and Max Battery were the only selection available.

The computer is not on the 'net as yet, so I don't think some worm or Trojan has infected it, I t also has Norton AntiVirus installed, and yes, I did do a complete scan of the system.

ANY Ideas???

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Screen Saver and Power settings don't work
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:01:13 PM »
Make sure nothing is moving the mouse, and no keys are stuck. If something is stuck or moving, the computer will not go into screensaver.

Flame

infoseeker

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 11:30:07 PM »
and i think some programs when they are working (even in background) they are not allowing the screensaver or the power shutdown mode
try to close some of your program

BobDnm

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 05:43:02 AM »
and i think some programs when they are working (even in background) they are not allowing the screensaver or the power shutdown mode
try to close some of your program

Thanks, I will check the Services folder to see if anything appears unusual there.

BobDnm

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:23:19 AM »
Make sure nothing is moving the mouse, and no keys are stuck. If something is stuck or moving, the computer will not go into screensaver.

Flame

Just a short note to thank you , I found the problem, it was a stuck key on his keyboard! I had him bring just the tower over to my place for testing.

Of course everything worked, as I was useing my extra mouse/keyboard.
I was beginning to think he was crazy!

Again, Thank You,
BobDnm

Case Closed!!!! :D