Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not enough Free Base Memory to Boot Up  (Read 4582 times)

msladybug02

Not enough Free Base Memory to Boot Up
« on: August 26, 2004, 08:04:59 PM »
I have this old compaq Presario from 4 years ago that crashed after getting many Blue Screens. It went caput so I bought a Dell that works fine. I stuffed this old computer away in the garage and decided to look at it again and maybe try ti fix the problem instead of scrapping it.
The hardrive is a Quantum Big foot, don't laugh.  :o I'm looking at the machine right now and everything is on but the monitor shows: "PXE-E00 Not enough free base memory. Because this system is so old I'm afraid to start unscrewing anything on the inside of the machine. Everything is hard to get to. So basically my question is, if it will not start due to lack of free base memory (the first 64mb on the memory stick?) Will buying and installing an addtional stick of memory help? I just want to wipe the thing clean and use it as an extra storage machine. But since it will not boot, I cannot wipe it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  :-*

merlin_2

Re: Not enough Free Base Memory to Boot Up
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 01:24:27 PM »
what happens in safe mode f5/f8 key....the message you are receiving is not related to ram? sometime in its life this pc was used as a server...go into the bios and alter the boot sequence to boot from cdrom and load the install disk or boot from floppy ...www.bootdisk.com has a load of boot disks..