Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cd drive not being detected by windows  (Read 3017 times)

purity366

Cd drive not being detected by windows
« on: April 30, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »
My CD-RW and DVD-R drives are not being detected by windows, it wants drivers?? It started acting this way friday, neither system restore nor uninstalling the devices and restarting the computer seem to help, any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 01:32:11 PM by purity366 »

GX1_Man

Re: Cd drive not being detected by windows
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 01:41:39 PM »
Has anyone been monkeying inside the case? Are you the only one with access to the machine? Most importantly do the drives show up in the BIOS (which you get to before the Windows logo screen)? Any unusual events lately? Can you share any model numbers with us? Are both drives connected to the same cable?

purity366

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »
I don't know the model numbers, it's my home computer,so only I use it, The cables are connected properly, and they're on one cable. I don't think dell has a traditional "BIOS" menu, do they, if so, I don't know how to get to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 01:59:06 PM »
F2 at boot will get you to setup, which is as close as you can get on a Dell. Are the drives both seen there? They should be set to "AUTO" and may even name them.

What was the exact error message you got, or how did you become aware of the problem?

What is the model number or service tag? (You can see it after pressing F2 on  screen OR it may be on the outside of the case.) Some models have lights on the motherboard if there are problems. At this point we just have to guess, but post  back with some info.  ;)

purity366

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 02:08:33 PM »
It says they're there in the setup menu, if you want my product key it's:
EDIT: Windows Product key removed by Fed.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 03:22:19 PM by Fed »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 02:41:26 PM »
    Because I can & it seemed like the right thing to do.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 06:37:44 PM »
    No, we do not need or ask for product keys. Good job, Fed! The service tag is what we need - it's 6-7 letters and numbers, again on the case itself, or in the screen you get to when you press F2.