Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton Anti Virus Help  (Read 4036 times)

XChrisX

Norton Anti Virus Help
« on: May 16, 2006, 07:05:49 AM »
Ok so the window pops up every now and again telling me that my subscription is up and that I need to renew.  When I proceed to renew it asks for my subscription key.  However when I type in the subcription key that came with the softwware it says "the number you have entered is not a valid subscription key, please check the number and try again"  Shoul I just uninstall norton and re install it or what?  This is a legit purchased copy so I'm not sure why it won't accept the subcription key.  Any help is appreciated, THANKS!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 07:06:04 AM by XChrisX »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Norton Anti Virus Help
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:36:27 AM »
This is a common mistake Chris. That key on the back of the CD cover is the first one you will ever have. You need to renew your subscription by calling Norton, or by buying it online. They will issue you a new key to enter, and all will be fixed. The key on the back of your CD is for installation purposes only.

Flame

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 08:33:01 AM »
I don't agree that you have to call Symantec/Norton to renew.  I've renewed my subscription to Norton online, without calling them.  So, I know it can be done.  And, I believe that's the way it was designed to work.  

But, since you're having problems, then you will probably need to call them.  Be prepared for a sales pitch; they'll probably try to sell you the latest version of the software and steer you away from just renewing your subscription.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 08:40:30 AM »
You need to renew your subscription by calling Norton, or by buying it online.

Yes, I know  ;)  Soybean, the problem is that the viewer is using the code on the back of his CD to renew. As you know, seeing as how you are a Norton user, you must enter a NEW key which they give you at time of purchase in order to renew your subscription.

Flame
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 08:42:27 AM by flame »

XChrisX

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 09:39:59 AM »
So basically Norton Anti Virus is only good for a year(or so) and then every year you have you purchase a new subscription key?  Other than in this case I havent used it in a while so I had no idea I'd have to re purchase the product.  That seems ridiculous, however if that's the only way to fix the problem then I will probably do so.  Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:45:37 AM by XChrisX »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:45:10 AM »
Yes, you need to buy a subscription every year. Sorry, and good luck  ;)

Flame

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:53:08 AM »
I had no idea I'd have to re purchase the product.  That seems ridiculous, however if that's the only way to fix the problem then I will probably do so.  
Well, I wouldn't call it re-purchasing the product.  You're not buying a new version of the software; you're just paying for another year of updates to your anti-virus protection so that it remains current and you continue to be protected against the latest/new viruses.  

As I said in my previous post, if you call Symantec, they may try to sell you a new version of the software, not just renew your subscription to virus definition updates.  And, you'll end up paying more if you allow them to sell you a new version of the software.

Fed

• Sage
    « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 01:40:30 PM »
    There are many free antivirus programs available.
    Google AVG Free

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 04:07:05 PM »
    Get away from Norton while you can!  :o :o :o :o