Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: daylight savings doubles outlook appointments  (Read 4835 times)

bnovacek

daylight savings doubles outlook appointments
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:53:54 AM »
I have all my appointments in MS Outlook.  I live in Colorado and we are currently on Daylight savings time.  When the time changed it made all my Outlook appointments spread across 2 days.  I had to click on the clock in the system tray and remove the daylight savings check to have my Outlook show my appointments correctly.  BUT now my clock is off by an hour.  Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

T-Chai

Re: daylight savings doubles outlook appointments
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 02:21:35 AM »
To go back where you start do system restore if you have WinXP
Download better schedule application like MS project will set all those problem

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 08:14:39 AM »
To go back where you start do system restore if you have WinXP
Download better schedule application like MS project will set all those problem
Well, he can't just download MS Project.  It's not free, you know.  And since he has Outlook, he obviously wants a solution.  Something is wrong there; the change to Daylight Savings Time should not cause that to happen.  

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »
I have all my appointments in MS Outlook.  I live in Colorado and we are currently on Daylight savings time.  When the time changed it made all my Outlook appointments spread across 2 days.  I had to click on the clock in the system tray and remove the daylight savings check to have my Outlook show my appointments correctly.  BUT now my clock is off by an hour.  Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
Open Outlook Calendar, go to Tools, Options, and click on the Calendar Options button.  Click on the Time Zone button.  Is the  correct time zone shown?  Is the box for "Adjust for daylight savings time" checked?

bnovacek

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 03:37:23 PM »
What I see happening is a full day appointment is from 12am to 12am.  if you change the time zone it moves the full day appointment to 1am to 1am the next day thus when you look at your calenday in the monthly view it looks like you have a 2 day appointment.  That is what I need to find a fix for!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 11:37:47 PM »
    bnovacek...I just opened up Outlook and went to the calendar ...I created some hypothetical appointments ......  I set one at 11:30 pm on todays date ( with daylight saving turned off )  when I applied daylight savings ...that appointment as well as all the others was moved ahead by 1 hour....... so the 11:30 pm appointment on todays date was showing up as a 12:30 Am appointment tomorrow .......   It would appear thats the way Outlook handles daylight saving ....... why dont you simply set your clock to the correct time and then EDIT your calendar ....and things will be correct .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

bnovacek

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 06:55:12 PM »
    You are correct and that will work.  But I deal with months of appointments and places.  I don't want to have to go and adjust all my appointments every time daylight savings changes (twice a year).  Also try this.  I have 3 hundred clients in my address book with their birhtdays and anniversayrs etc.  Those are full day events.  When the clock adjusts for daylight savings it moves them all to another day either 1 ahead or behind and now I am off on what day I need to get stuff out to those clients all because Outlook screws up with time.  See my problem?

Thanks for look and please if anyone has a fix I am anxious to know it.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 08:33:11 PM »
    I have 3 hundred clients in my address book with their birhtdays and anniversayrs etc.  Those are full day events.  When the clock adjusts for daylight savings it moves them all to another day either 1 ahead or behind and now I am off on what day I need to get stuff out to those clients all because Outlook screws up with time.  See my problem?

So, when you create these appointments, you check the box for "All day event".  Is that correct?  Hmmm, are you an event planner?  Otherwise, I can't imagine why you would need to create these appointments in that manner.  I haven't used this feature with Outlook, but I suspect that if you stop creating your appointments that way, then won't have this problem.  Even you are an event planner, why would you need to create appointments in that manner?  I mean, seriously, how can you schedule 300 or more "all day events" in a year?  Do you literally spend the entire day with your clients on their birthdays and anniversaries?  When do you sleep?  And, if you business is not event planning, when do have time to get any business done if you're basically scheduling the whole year for birthdays and anniversaries?

bnovacek

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 07:49:39 AM »
    Does it really matter why or how I use my Outlook.  No not all my events are all day but bdays of clients etc are.  The issue is not how or why I use Outlook the issue is when the time changes twice a year it screws up the all day events.  Look at it this way I have an appointment for 1pm for an hour on a day.  go change your to daylight savings time and suddenly that 1 pm appointment is now at 2 pm.  GUESS WHAT my appoointment is at 1pm NOT 2pm so why is Outlook changing it?  Try it any appointmetn you have change the daylight savings and your appoint moved now your not at your 1 HOUR appointment on time.  and all day events are now 2 day events.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 10:45:28 AM »
    Here's a reference with some suggested workarounds for this: Outlook, Appointments and Time Zones.  Unfortunately, I believe there is no ideal solution, which would be some setting in Outlook where the user could control how Outlook handles the change to Daylight Savings Time.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 10:46:04 AM by soybean »