Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pc won't recognize lacie external harddrive  (Read 7092 times)

randomly

pc won't recognize lacie external harddrive
« on: May 03, 2006, 10:52:05 AM »
Hey there...
 Am having a problem that is driving me insane. Have bought a 40 gb lacie external harddrive and when i plug it into my pc with windows xp it doesn't recognize it.
 Have found it in the device manager and updated the drivers
 Can find it in the computer management, disk management. Says to be healty., type basic. Doesn't have a driver letter asigned to it, but when i assign one it doesn't remember it next time i plug it in. When i try to format it it says the partition or volume is not enabled and i should restart my computer. After restarting nothing changes though.
 Have updated windows. The only update that keeps failing is an optional one for a wireless driver. don't know why this fails, but can't see how this would have to do with my external harddrive.
 Have brought the lacie back to the shop, lacie is working fine.. they say i should update windows which i have done.
 Have installed the driver from lacie website.
If i go to the safely remove hardware tab it recognizes the lacie, but also shows two question marks saying unknown device on volume manager.

One other weird thing is that when i go to the control panel and dbl click on add hardware i get a message saying that i can only install one device at a time and that one is underway????

Have had plug and play problems before with other hardware, but usually easily solved through device manager. This time i'm lost...

Hope there is someone there that knows something else i can try.... Please don't tell me i need to reinstall windows, would be such a headache....
Help!!! :-?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:54:52 AM by randomly »

GX1_Man

Re: pc won't recognize lacie external harddrive
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 04:49:15 PM »
You must partition the drive and then format it. That is two separate steps. It sounds like you did not do the first.

Read your manual. If you lost it, here you go:

http://www.lacie.com/support/manuals/

randomly

Re: pc won't recognize lacie external harddrive
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:50:34 PM »
The lacie harddrive already showes me two seperate partitions... if i want to make a new one my only option is to delete partition...
 This is why i'm under the assumption that it is already partioned, am i right???