Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Severe issue  (Read 1894 times)

kefkarz

Severe issue
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:15:15 PM »
Okay, some background: my system...

Intel P4 516 2.93Ghz 1MB C 533 FSB Socket 775
Intel D945PSNLK Socket 775 Motherboard
Corsair Value Select 512MB PC4200 DDR2 x3
Ultra 500w V-Series PSU
Radeon X700 128mb graphics card
WD 250gb HDD
generic DVD/CDROM
generic keyboard/mouse
M-Audio Audiophile USB sound card

Anyway, the other day I was using the computer when it froze. I reset, and although the comp itself booted, nothing displayed on the monitor. This happened every time I reset (12-15 times), so I powered down, turned off the surge protector, and went to bed.
The next day, I tried again, and it booted up just fine - until the Win XP boot screen, whereupon the monitor froze -- but oddly, the computer booted up as if nothing was wrong. Just, the display was stuck.
So I bought a new monitor. Still the same thing.

The longer I leave the power off before rebooting, the longer it goes before the monitor locks up, thus why I'm suspecting the PSU.

And please, don't suggest things like 'did you try reseating -component?' or anything else obvious, because I've tried it. I have not tried a different graphics card due to me being kinda broke and not wanting to spend $200 on something if I don't absolutely have to. It's not a bad connection, it's definitely a hardware failure of some kind. I get no error beeps or anything, so it's hard to pinpoint the problem. Thanks for any help.

GX1_Man

Re: Severe issue
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 03:57:52 PM »
It certainly could be the power supply, especially if it is an off brand, or old, or sub-optimal output. I just got a new 400+ watt Thermaltake from newegg.com and revived a previously dead machine. Antec is a fine maker also. El Cheapo non name I would not suggest at any price.  ;)