Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bios ?  (Read 2306 times)

rossb

Bios ?
« on: April 03, 2006, 09:42:04 AM »
 :-[ Computer absolutely will not start. I have a good power source, no recent storms. All fans are running. Tried to put a boot disc in, will not start still. Computer will not move from 1st startup screen, the one with the F keys allowing you to access the BIOS, and Boot setup. Will not accept key inputs to enter Bios and Boot setup. Have a Emachines, windows xp mce, amd 64, not more than 5 months old.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Bios ?
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 09:53:28 AM »
    So you pretty much cannot to anything on it? You say you can't use a boot disk... what about getting into Windows? That possible for - oh wait, you say it still won't boot. I get it. Do you have another computer you can access? Because were I you, I'd set up that hard drive as a slave in another system, get out all the data you need, and perhaps get another PC.

I know that would be bad for a 5-month-old PC, but realistically if you can't do ANYTHING on it...

Guys, remember when I first rejoined ComputerHope? How my signature read "Never buy an Emachine!"? Well, this is a good example of why...
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:32:09 PM »
    How long is the warranty? Use it.

IT-Guy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:44:02 PM »
    Have you reset the bios yet using the jumpers?  It sounds like the e-machine I fixed recently.. It was the PSU.

rossb

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 10:33:34 AM »
    I sent it back for a warranty repair. Came back and worked for a while. Froze during a restart. Same problem as the first. I took the battery out to clear cmos. tried the jumpers. Nothing. Then i just waited 24 hours to turn it on again. And it works! Go figure. Waiting for it to crash again.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 05:06:26 PM »
      Now might be a good time to test the RAM & HDD.

oneton

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 02:56:20 AM »
      my freinds pc  froze on him so he turned it off by the mains since then when turned back on it does nothing. it powers up o.k. but the screen is blank cant seem to get on to the bios screen or anything. although there may be a lot of reasons why its busted......  suggestions would be appreciated

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 04:29:52 AM »
      Oneton-

Rather than hijacking someone else's thread, please refer to the reponses in your own topic. Thanks.  ;)