Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can Win XP Pro + Win XP Pro be dual booted?  (Read 2306 times)

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Can Win XP Pro + Win XP Pro be dual booted?
    « on: May 05, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »
    I've installed Windows XP Pro on 2 partitions via PQ Magic 8.0.  Is there a document that describes the steps needed to set this up correctly?  When the computer first turns on, I see the 2 op sys's on the black Windows boot screen, but I can't just choose either option to go to the desired op sys.  The only way to change op sys's is by hiding the original op sys and making the desired op sys active via PQMagic.  This is an extra step and a pain.  

Both boot.ini files are correct.  I did not install Boot Magic which I know can really screw things up.  I reinstalled everything from scratch, hoping that no install of Boot Magic would solve my problems.  I find plenty of threads on installing Win XP plus some other Win operating system, but nothing on Win XP Pro + Win XP Pro.  I'm willing to start from scratch again, but I'd like to do it correctly this time.

I didn't see anything on http://support.microsoft.com/.  Will I be forced to always manually change the active partition or is my setup wrong?

I use the dual boot system to run different programs.  The second op sys has only limited programs installed on it.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can Win XP Pro + Win XP Pro be dual booted?
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 01:40:10 AM »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos