Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Layer alignment in different resolutions  (Read 7495 times)

distorted

Layer alignment in different resolutions
« on: May 07, 2006, 03:23:59 AM »
hey theree, im using dreamweaver 8, i made a website and i used layeres for text placemenets, but everytime i view the site in anyother resolution other than 1024x768 the layer alignments screw up, can anyone tell me how can i fix this?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Layer alignment in different resolutions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:34:52 AM »
A bit of advice: never design for a specific resolution.  Always resize your browser when you are testing out your websites.  If resolution changes are wrecking the layout then you have designed the site badly and it may be easiest to start from scratch.

If you're willing to post a link to the website, then we may be able to make rather more helpful comments.  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 04:13:00 AM by robpomeroy »
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

distorted

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »
well, designing a site is nto a problem, the problem is that this time i used the LAYERS in DREAMWEAVER, if had used normal tables for text or just simple text it wouldnt have messed up, but due to layer's position lock changing resolutions is wrecking the layout!

the site is www.elinkholding.com
the dummy design is up, the forms and login [development] has to be done soon! but i designed the site in 1024x768 view it in 1280x1024 or 800x600 the layers of texts remain at the same place while the layout is moving away! help me out! :) thanks

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 10:24:30 AM »
I see what you mean.  It doesn't display properly in Firefox, even at your chosen resolution.

If you're going to do something like this, why not use CSS?  You will have fine, logical control over your layout.  For a mind-blowing example of what you can do, see >this< page.

distorted

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 10:32:19 AM »
well i just checked again, its showing properly in mozilla in 1024x768 :s i wonder why it isnt showing properly at your place, well ill try CSS, but is there any fixation to DREAMWEAVER'S LAYERS?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »
well i just checked again, its showing properly in mozilla in 1024x768 :s i wonder why it isnt showing properly at your place, well ill try CSS, but is there any fixation to DREAMWEAVER'S LAYERS?
Dreamweaver's layers are not broken.  To achieve your desired effect, you need to better understand how they work.  This is partly why I'm directing you to CSS.

distorted

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 06:01:52 PM »
ill try and go through layers again, i just wanna know what command or what should i do to just make the layers self adjust with change of resolutions! thanks :)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:56:46 AM »
Okay, I've had a good look at your HTML source (it's never fun looking at someone else's code!) and I see what the problem is.

Your background image on the right (that greyish box with the indentation) is in a table cell.  That table is centred.  Therefore, whenever you resize the browser window, the position of the table (and ergo that table cell) will change.  In the meantime, your DIVs are positioned ABSOLUTELY - i.e. relative to the browser window.

Instead, you could use position: relative; to position them relative to the table cell in which they are contained.  Obviously then your first DIV would be top: 0px; left: 0px;.

There is a problem with this however - you are relying on your particular font size being consistent in all browsers - if it isn't, you divs will be messed up.  You CANNOT rely on a consistent font size, because most modern browsers have the option to change the font size; this will wreck your page.  Many users (particularly the partially-sighted) will in fact change the default font size.

This is why I pointed you to that amazing page above - they use a technique there which is a better way of achieving your desired effect.  It will work regardless of font size, since all of the text is contained within one div - and yet it wraps perfectly around the image.

distorted

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 03:25:05 PM »
omg! thank you sooooo very much mate! the site is awesome now!! thank you very very much!! :)

wolve

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 06:05:51 PM »
My advice would have been: Stay away from Dreamweaver whenever possible, nothing you can't do with a basic knowledge of coding/css

distorted

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 02:40:59 AM »
mmmm...there is a problem now, when i set up the site and view it mozilla its perfect, but it shows weirdly in internet explorer and vice versa, what is causing this?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 05:18:11 AM »
mmmm...there is a problem now, when i set up the site and view it mozilla its perfect, but it shows weirdly in internet explorer and vice versa, what is causing this?
It looks fine for me in IE and Firefox.

My advice would have been: Stay away from Dreamweaver whenever possible, nothing you can't do with a basic knowledge of coding/css
Whilst I agree, in the main, not everyone has a head for learning code.  At least Dreamweaver doesn't produce quite such horrendous code as FrontPage...

distorted

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 04:57:22 AM »
oh thats cuz  i replaced it with normal html files i mean i used extra spaces to align the text, it just wasnt working out oh and yeah front page makes weird codings!! i never liked front page, even back in the days i  used netscape communicator instead of front page

but really, where can i find more stuff on USING LAYERS IN DREAMWEAVER?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 09:38:34 AM »
but really, where can i find more stuff on USING LAYERS IN DREAMWEAVER?
I'm sorry that you don't like my answers, but my suggestions remain.  Take it from someone who has "walked before"?

distorted

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 01:15:45 PM »
whoever said i dun like your answers!!! you did helped me out mate!! : )
the problem with me is that im not even close to a programmer guy ya know!! design im in but programming and scripting i suck!!!