Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD RAM discs barely detected  (Read 2231 times)

reisender

DVD RAM discs barely detected
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:48:33 AM »
I'm using a Japanese FMV-BIBLO NX70J/T laptop with English windows xp.  
This model is DVD RAM compatible, yet it has a lot of trouble recognising that type of disc.  
It's only about 2-3 years old, and I can recall I could drag and drop files to and from the RAMs.  
But now it barely recognises them.

When I use DVD burning programs (Record Now!) I have to enter the disc many times before it will recognise it.  Also, when I check the contents in the E drive, the window is empty, showing no contents in the disc.  If I keep reinserting the discs and trying over and over, eventually the files I have on there show up.  

So I know the files can be saved onto these discs, and they are there, and my burning software is successful in burning to the RAMs.  Why does my RAM compatible laptop have trouble recognising them 90% of the time?

Also, I can't drag and drop files.  I have to erase the dvd and burn again.  
So my RAMs are just like R/Ws.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: DVD RAM discs barely detected
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:57:35 AM »
    reisender...  First of all has the DVD drive ever works correctly with DVD-rw disks..... Many people report that they have nothing but trouble when using rw disks ....... Have you tried using DVD-R or DVD+R disks ....you may find that they will work much better.
    It's also possible that the DVD drive itself is failing .
    Which burning software are you using.......?
    Have you tried the problematic disks in another machine to be sure they arent the problem ?

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 12:01:27 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

reisender

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:49:06 PM »
    Thanks for your reply.
    I've used CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, all with no problems.
    When I thought about buying DVD-RW, I figured buying DVD-RAMs were the better option because you didn't need to erase and rewrite the disc.  But, that's obviously not working for me.

I guess I can just admit defeat and use DVD-Rs or try DVD-RW.  But I figured if I bought a machine with certain specs, I should be able to use them.  

The burning software I'm using is RECORD NOW! by SONIC.
    I haven't checked the discs in other computers.  I'll look to see if anyone I know has DVD-RAM compatible computers.  

Thanks for the advice.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:57:26 PM »
       reisender....   I just have to ask .....   you keep refering to .......
      DVD-RAMs

What are you refering to ?
      You also haven't mentioned the make and model number of the DVD drive thats installed and what type of disks it will read and (or) write .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

reisender

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 11:57:49 PM »
      I'm not sure I understand what you don't understand.  DVD-RAM.  Digital Versatile Disc - Random Access Memory.

I'm using ATI Mobility Radeon 9700.  It is said to support the following.

CD-ROM
      CD-R
      CD-RW
      DVD-ROM
      DVD-RAM
      DVD-R
      DVD-RW
      DVD+R
      DVD+RW