Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Invalid system disk on windows ME/ compaq computer  (Read 2065 times)

tmsa

Invalid system disk on windows ME/ compaq computer
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:44:51 PM »
I have a 6 year Compaq with windows ME. When I try to start it- i get invalid sysytem disk on the screen. When I use the Windows ME start up disk, I can do a scandisk which says everything on c drive is ok. I tried a registry restore- still no success. Because I can do scan disk and registry rstore, can I assume the problem is not the hard drive? I'd hate to replace it...but am at wits end. I can only start up with the start up disk--- unable to start in safe mode.
Thanks. :-?

jackpkmn

Re: Invalid system disk on windows ME/ compaq comp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:42:50 PM »
Ok do yourself a favor. Take you ME disks and use them for target practice. Then go out and buy a real OS. As for the problem in question. The real OS will fix it. So long as there is no problems with your disk. You dont even have to lose any of your files!

GX1_Man

Re: Invalid system disk on windows ME/ compaq comp
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 08:14:34 PM »
Download and run the free diagnostics for your hard drive from the appropriate manufacturer's site. Then we can proceed.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1122425778

No O/S will fix bad hardware. Let's make sure what you are up against.  ;)