Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computers on but nothing responds  (Read 5599 times)

nosferatu_uk

Computers on but nothing responds
« on: August 28, 2004, 01:28:54 AM »
G'day there,
I have:-
Windows XP SP1
PNY Geforce 5600 Ultra 256 MB DDR
120 Gig HDD
AMD 64 3200+
Audigy Sound Blaster Platinum Pro 2 ZS
Kingston ECC Buffered 1 Gig DDR

What happens is i boot my CP up and it loads fine, i can mess around on windows etc but as soon as i start a game, generals ZH, battlefield 1942, OFP etc the computer will run fine for a bit then will complete stop responding. The computer itself stays running i can see the lights on i can hear the fan and HDD but the monitor shuts off the laser mouse shuts off the sounds stops and the keyboard lights go out.
First of all i thought it might be the Motherboard becuase i was running a Abit Pro-Max3 Socket 754 and then i changed it for a Abit KV8 Pro.

Im still getting the exact same thing and its baffling me. can anyone help?

merlin_2

Re: Computers on but nothing responds
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 01:46:28 AM »
i reply to the answer i gave some moments ago?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 04:25:37 AM »
Read the 'Read This First' it's not there for to be ignored. This is not a Computer Hope's Unknown...

Scan for viruses, trojans and spyware

Please Read This First - Viruses & Spyware

Make use of the utilities described there.

nosferatu_uk

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 02:00:25 PM »
why do you assume i didn't read it first? its not spyware or a virus and its a newlt built pc which wasn't on the net before the problem started.
Windows and that lot runs superb, just as soon as a game is lunch it is only a matter of time before the accessories turn off but the computer remains on.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 02:03:13 PM »
check your graphics card in seated properly...run dxdiag in the run box ...a diagnostic check...

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 02:48:31 PM »
why do you assume i didn't read it first? its not spyware or a virus and its a newlt built pc which wasn't on the net before the problem started.
Windows and that lot runs superb, just as soon as a game is lunch it is only a matter of time before the accessories turn off but the computer remains on.

My mistake, I assumed the moderator had posted a Read This First sticky here as well explaining this is for issues that the Computer Hope support did not know what to do with.

As for the Please Read This First - Viruses & Spyware, I posted this to link you to the useful applications.

no matter how newly built the PC is, you can always be infected the minute you connect to the Internet.

I'd do as Merlin say and have a look at your videocard.

Also monitor your temperatures in the BIOS or use a tool such as Sisoft Sandra

nosferatu_uk

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 07:29:10 AM »
ok cool cheers merlin_2 and raptor shall give your advice ago and keep ya posted  :)

nosferatu_uk

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 10:03:42 AM »
tried all above advice and still it wants to turn off... its so weird though, the computer remains running and the cd-rom still spins etc but every card stops working (sound, gfx, network) could it be the GFX doing this? i can only narrow it down to that aswell, its as soon as i use games it will stop working. weird thing is the same thing has happened on both motherboards therefore i can't really blame it on the mobo's

nosferatu_uk

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 10:32:51 AM »
tried CS 1.6 and it runs for ages so far its not cut out.. so must be gfx related anything demanding and it gives up :/

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 12:23:11 PM »
I have had that with my 9000Pro whilst running Terminator: Rise of the Machines. My computer would just shutdown, the danger was, I kept it in that mode for too long and it somehow managed to damage a file that made it unable for me to boot into Windows.

I have yet to test this game (Very hesitant) on my 9800Pro

Is your videocard's fan working properly? Is it perhaps obstructed?

nosferatu_uk

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 12:35:39 PM »
got a see through panel and by the looks of things it is spinning fine with no obstructions.. i dare say an upgrade to a 6800 will be the only solution :D but a huge chunk taken out of my wallet :/

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 02:17:53 PM »
You could format first to see if the problem is software related. Saves money, but not time.

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 02:33:39 PM »
maybe ea games has  a patch to stop this happening..also  you pc may shutdown due the info flow...its not recieving..?gap..had a simular problem with need for speed?i recall..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 02:35:12 PM by merlin_2 »

nosferatu_uk

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 03:46:57 PM »
this is a home built pc i got all the parts from dabs.co.uk.. in a way i wish i didn't they offer no help with choosing.. scan.co.uk have been brilliant at helping with my problems..
Was just wondering though; does the AMD Athlon 64 support ECC and Buffered Ram? i know the motherboard does.. i think...  :-X i spent about 190 quid on 1 gig of ram and for it to be wrong its gonna be a hard shot to the pills ;)

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 04:16:05 PM »
I suggest you contact AMD technical support if you want to know what your CPU is compatible with.