Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Won't boot up after installing new HDD (slave)...  (Read 3627 times)

cannotlogin

Won't boot up after installing new HDD (slave)...
« on: May 06, 2006, 04:21:01 PM »
I just installed a second hard drive. It was to replace another "slave" drive that was ridiculously small. It is a WD Caviar 80 GB EIDE 7200/8MB/ATA-100. I disconnected everything and removed the old drive and installed the new one in the same place. Same connections. The "master" drive is a WD Caviar 20 GB EIDE. I double-checked everything. I made sure to reconnect everything the same way.

But the system will not boot up. When I turn it on it emits a long beep (kind of a "beeeee-be-deep") and nothing will come up on the monitor, not even a notice that i screwed up, and the light on the monitor stays yellow and doesn't turn green.

I've done this before and it was okay. I cannot figure out where I could have screwed up! I went back and re-checked everything. I need help, please.  :-?

GX1_Man

Re: Won't boot up after installing new HDD (slave)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 05:27:44 PM »
The beep will direct you to where the problem is. SInce you didn't specify the computer make/model here is some generic info:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

cannotlogin

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 06:01:41 PM »
I'm sorry. the reason I did not specify the make and model is because it's a "barebones" unit. The motherboard is a "First Mainboard". It's my husband's PC and I cannot find any more info than that.

GX1_Man

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:42:59 PM »
I just installed a second hard drive. It was to replace another "slave" drive that was ridiculously small. It is a WD Caviar 80 GB EIDE 7200/8MB/ATA-100. I disconnected everything and removed the old drive and installed the new one in the same place. Same connections. The "master" drive is a WD Caviar 20 GB EIDE. I double-checked everything. I made sure to reconnect everything the same way.

And, you have the jumpers on the new drive set correctly for slave configuration, right?

cannotlogin

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »
Yup, I made sure to double-check the jumpers!
Follow-Up... Well, I double-checked everything and pushed on everything to make sure it was seated okay, such as the video card and the RAM, and did the same with all the cables in the back. Then I crossed my fingers, toes, and eyes, and tried turning it on again. And it booted up just fine! :D So now I am formatting the new drive.

Thank you all! I love this place!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 08:52:38 PM by cannotlogin »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 05:47:12 AM »
Glad you are up and running again. Sometimes prayer helps.  ;)

tOnski

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 04:22:48 AM »
i had the same problem with my hdd..  ;D gOod thing yOu had it all fixed up  ;)