Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows vs Linux  (Read 5571 times)

jilbean3

Windows vs Linux
« on: May 11, 2006, 07:28:16 AM »
Recently I realized that I did not have a genuine copy of windows.  So now I have some decisions to make.  I can either buy a new copy of Windows or change my OS.  Someone suggested to try Linux  http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/ (this is the link to the specific Linux they are recommending).
My question is - what type of culture shock will I deal with if/when I switch over?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows vs Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:05:32 AM »
You may find this discussion interesting: Why should I use Linux?.  Other than that, if you Google "Windows Linux Comparison" I think you'll find a lot of useful information.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

jilbean3

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 09:33:14 AM »
Thanks.  I read through the thread.  I also am googling what you mentioned.  
Here is the thing -

I am an above-average computer user.  I work in a COMPLETELY different field, so there isn't as much time as I would like to learn more about computers (which comes easy to me).  Do you think I will be able to handle the transition easily?  Or should I not bother until I can devote more time?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 11:59:52 AM »
Even "above average" computer users find Linux challenging.  But then, as someone wisely pointed out, MS Windows is challenging the first time you encounter it.

There is a lot to learn with Linux, but that's one of its beauties.  There is so much more that you can do with it - more that you can tweak, and MUCH more enterprise grade FREE software.  It's worth the time investment; there's not substitute for reading the documentation, and getting down and dirty with the command line...
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »
You can also download and burn a LiveCD from an ISO for several of the major flavors to see that it is NOT as bad as you think.

Ubuntu
Mandriva
Kubuntu
Slax
Mepis
Linspire (for the easiest transition from a Windows background)

THese are just a few. www.distrowatch.com has links to ALL of the major distributions. I don't believe SuSE has a live CD at this point.

Here is a link to Linspire. The installable version is not free, but is very reasonable, and for $19.95/yr. you get one click downloads to the software which makes it even easier. You can download software with all distros, but again, this is idiotproof. If you decide on this, PM me and I will get you a retail box set with a real MANUAL for half of what they sell it for online. You do not need to be a linux guru to run this one!

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/distro.php?distro=58